To Know Her is to Love Her [Auslly]

AN: This is by ExtremeSaucicity

"You're kidding," Austin states in a hollow voice, eying down the receptionist at the hotel front desk.

The woman in her early forties gives him a blank look. "Yes, because that's how I get my kicks and giggles, by lying to customers about the rooms they've booked," she says sarcastically. "Look, Mr. Moon, you only have one room booked, alright? I'm sorry if that's an inconvenience, but it's the truth."

Austin groans and runs a hand over his tired face. "Well, do you have any other rooms available?" he asks, trying to be hopeful.

"No."

He groans again.

"Sir, are you and the missus going to take it? Because if you're not, I'd love to free up the room," she deadpans. "It's actually a really nice suite with a king-sized bed and a wonderful view." The description sounds excellent enough, but it's a hard-sell when you factor in her toneless voice of death.

He glances over his shoulder and looks at Ally, who is starting to appear worried due to the unsuspecting hold up. He turns back to the woman, eyes her name tag and gives her his most charming grin. "Look, Gladys, c'mon, level with me. Surely, you've got another room somewhere in this very lovely, very giant hotel."

She gives him an odd look. "You're cute, but what am I gonna do with somebody as young as you?" she snorts. "Change your diaper?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. "That charm thing of yours isn't gonna work on me."

Austin's smile drops from his face and he sputters at her. "Okay, okay!" he relents, turning mildly red. "Just... just give me the key," he grumbles embarrassingly. He holds out a hand and motions with his fingers to hurry up and hand it over so he can make a speedy exit.

Gladys smirks at him, types something into the computer, and then hands over the room key. "And shame on you, trying to seduce me into giving you a room when your lovely girlfriend is standing right there," she tsks with a shake of her head.

His cheeks turn redder as he angrily pockets the key and rolls his eyes. "She's not my girlfriend," he mumbles under his breath.

Gladys blinks and looks over his shoulder to the patiently waiting, and very pretty, brunette. "It's probably because she can do better than you, right?" She nods at her own conclusion. "Smart girl."

An annoyed huff escapes from Austin's lips. "Thanks, Gladys," he states flatly, turning around and making his way down the hallway, gesturing for Ally to follow.

Ally blinks at the sour look on his face and scampers after him, slowing down when she falls into step behind her partner. "What was the hold up?" she questions, a bit breathlessly, as she pushes a strand of hair out of her face.

He comes to a stop and his shoulders tense up. "Weeell, about that..."

She freezes and her eyebrows knit together. "Uh-oh. Austin, what happened?" she asks tiredly.

He winces at the annoyance laced in the voice and he turns very slowly around to meet her suspicious glare. "So, uh, we don't have two rooms..."

She blinks at him. "What?"

He swallows nervous and reaches up to scratch at his neck nervously. "I don't know what happened," he sighs, sounding apologetic. "I could have sworn I'd booked us two rooms."

"So we have one room..." she summarizes quietly. She shifts her weight from one foot to the other, clearly a smidgen uncomfortable.

He presses his palms together and holds his joined hands to his lips for a moment as he studies her carefully. He moves his hands away from his lips, pointing at her. "Ally, look, I'll take the floor and you can have the bed, okay? This doesn't have to be a weird thing," he promises softly as his eyes search through hers.