Chapter 31

"So," Nicole begins, her phone up to her ear. "Are you ready for today?"

"Yeah, I at least think I am." Max responds from the other end, taking in a few deep breaths.

Two days had passed since Max and Nicole had stopped ignoring each other, and it was finally the day of the X-Games semi finals. Since both teenagers had spent most of their time practicing and getting ready for the events, they only had time to talk to each other over the phone at the end of the day.

But since the day had finally arrived, they decided to call each other the moment they woke up.

"You just think you're ready, huh?" Nicole questions, leaning back onto her pillows. "Where did all of that confidence go?"

"Hey, my confidence is still there, I'm just being humble."

Nicole scoffs. "Please, Maxie. Humble has never been in your vocabulary."

"A guy can try can't he?" Max lightly chuckles. "What about you? Are you ready?"

She shrugs her shoulders. "I honestly don't know. I mean, I didn't really want to be in the games, but I think it's too late to back out now."

"The games start in a little bit, so yeah it's too late."

"Okay, okay, I get it." Nicole sighs, and she tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Maxie, I might need to get ready, so I'll see you later."

"Yeah, me too. I'll see you later, Nicky."

"Good luck to you too, Maxie." After the line goes dead, she slowly gets up from the bed. After a good stretch, she opens her bedroom door, and heads downstairs to get herself something to drink. When she reaches the bottom of the stairs, she raises a brow at the sight before her. Every single member of the Gammas, including Slouch-who was standing with the aid of crutches- and they were all standing outside on the porch.

"The Gammas are leaving you!" She heard Bradley shout in anger. After that, all the Gammas come back into the house, and they slam the door shut.

"Uh, hey Brad." Nicole begins slowly, making her way to the kitchen. "What the hell was that about?"

Bradley waves a hand through the air. "Ah, nothing you need to worry yourself about. Just getting rid of a bad egg." He leans against the threshold of the entrance to the kitchen, and he crosses his arms. "What you do need to worry about though, is winning the X-Games."

Nicole rolls her eyes while opening the fridge. After looking through the contents, she shrugs and grabs a bottle of water.

"Bradley, you can't exactly guarantee that you're always gonna win. Someone else is going to take your title one day."

She hears him chuckle. "Not if I can do something about it."

"Oh? Why do you say that?" She questions, raising an eyebrow and placing a hand on her hip.

Bradley just stares at her, then he smiles, and he ruffles her hair. "Don't worry about it. Now, up to your room."

Nicole scoffs, and she smacks his hand away. "I'm not a child Bradley. I was heading back anyway." She quickly exits the kitchen, and goes back up the stairs. When she reaches the top, she stops, a bit curious.

He doesn't mean what I think he means, does he?

Wanting an answer, she leans back against the corner, making sure to stay out of sight of any straggling Gamma members, and she listens in on their conversation.

"We'll win how we always win. And how's that, Gammas?" She hears her brother ask.

"Uh, skills!"