Chapter 28

A few weeks after that night, Max and Nicole haven't spoken one word to each other at all. They either didn't know what to say, or they just didn't have the courage to speak up.

The only one who actually tried to start up a conversation, though, was Nicole. She just wanted to at least get back on speaking terms with him. But with every single attempt, Max would only respond with some random excuse as to why he couldn't talk to her at the moment, and walk away.

This is probably my fault. Nicole would think, sadly. I should've just kept my mouth shut. He wouldn't be avoiding me like this if I did.

She wasn't the only one having a hard time with their current situation either.

Max knew avoiding her was not the right way to go, but he just didn't know what else to do.

How about actually talking to her, you coward! His conscience had been going crazy since that night, and it has only gotten worse.

Max frustratingly runs his hands through his hair. "What am I even supposed to say to her?"

How about apologizing for avoiding her for no reason, and then tell her that you have genuine feelings for her, and only her.

"But Roxanne-"

Roxanne broke up with you! Hell, she knew you had feelings for Nicole before you did!

"It doesn't even matter now!" He shouts, frustrated. He's really glad PJ and Bobby went out to the Bean Scene with Coco, because right now, he definitely needed time to himself. He falls back onto his bed, and he blankly stares at the ceiling. "She probably thinks I hate her. Or worse, she probably thinks I hate her now." He quietly says, a bit glumly.

Well, if she does, it'll have been your fault

________________________________________________________________________________

Another month had come and gone, and the two teens have still been completely distant from each other. Instead of focusing on what's going on between them, though, they both put their minds on studying for their upcoming mid-term exams, and practicing for the X-Games.

Speaking of which...

Max, PJ, and Bobby walked out of the locker rooms to observe the scenery before them in awe.

It was the day of the Qualifying Rounds. All around them the boys saw nothing but skateboarding ramps varying in different sizes, and two spectator stands, both of which were full of cheering college students, who couldn't wait to see which teams were going to make it into the X-Games semi finals.

"This is everything I dreamed it would be!" Max exclaims.

"This puts the 'rage' in 'outrageous'!" Bobby agrees, bowing down to the scene in front of him.

"No kidding! It buries what we're used to!" PJ interjects nervously.

Max gives him a reassuring smile. "Okay, all right. Just remember, there's nothing here that we can't handle."

"Oh, I seriously doubt that." A familiar voice sneers. They turn their heads to see the Gammas, all of them decked out in black and red uniforms.

Bradley gives them his signature smirk. "We're going to eat you alive, Freshmen."

"Oh, Brad, we're quaking on our boards." Max says sarcastically.

"You know, you should be." Bradley says, scowling. "I'm gonna make sure I kick your ass today. Don't think for one moment I forgot what you did to my sister."