Chapter 29

It was still a little early in the morning when Bradley finally decided to get out of bed. After getting dressed, he headed down into the kitchen to get some breakfast. Since his sister wasn't there- she was the only one out of the two of them who could actually cook- he settled on a bowl of cereal.

He had eaten two spoonfuls before he jumped from the sound of the front door being slammed open.

"Hey, I could've spilled my breakfast!" He shouted, walking over to the door. He stopped and backed up when Nicole ran past him. "Damn, what's wrong with you?"

"Fuck off, Bradley." Nicole said without glancing at her brother, and she continued on her way up the stairs. Bradley walked over to the bottom step, and glared at her back.

"What's with the attitude?!"

"I said fuck off!" Once she made it to her room, she slammed the door shut.

Bradley just stared at the door for a few seconds, contemplative, and then he shook his head and sighed. He walked back to the kitchen, sat back down, and picked up another spoonful. He was about to take another bite, but he kept glancing back to the direction of the stairs.

Bradley knows he hasn't been the best older brother. From the constant picking on his sister when they were kids, to never telling his friends who she even was, he'll admit that he's a jackass. But that didn't mean that he didn't care about his sister.

Bradley sighs, and he slides the bowl of cereal away from him. He gets up, and he walks up the stairs, slowing down when he reaches the door to his sister's room. He hears something coming from the room, and he leans closer to the door to hear better. Behind the door, he could hear Nicole sniffling.

Damn it.

Bradley didn't know what to do when people began to cry. Usually, when he sees someone that he thinks is about to cry, he just stares and bails. Hell, the last time he heard his sister crying, he just stared at the door with wide eyes, and slowly walked back to his own room. But he would actually start to feel guilty if he did that again.

Trying his best not to make any noise, he slowly turns the knob, and he pushes the door open to take a peek inside.

He saw Nicole, sitting on her bed, with her head resting on her knees, and her shoulders were shaking, signifying that he was right. She was crying.

Not even that, she was sobbing.

Bradley felt his heart clench a bit as he saw the state his sister was in. After taking in another breath, he slowly walks into the room, and towards the bed. When he reaches his sister's side, he lowers himself onto the edge of the bed.

"So," He begins, not exactly knowing what to say. Nicole didn't say anything, but he could tell she was listening since her sobs had become quieter. "You, uh, want to tell me what's going on with you?"

He hears her sigh, and she shakes her head. "Not really."

He nudges her shoulder. "Come on, I know I can be dick, but I'm actually trying to help here."

"You're just gonna talk about how right you were if I do tell you."

He rubs his chin in thought, and he thinks over her words. Then his eyes widen. "This is about that freshman, isn't it?"

Her shoulders stiffen a bit, but she nods. "Yeah. It is."

"This is the second time I've heard you cry over him." He says with a slight sneer. He pinches the bridge of his nose. "What did he do this time?"

She slowly lifts up her head to stare at him, and he notices that her eyes were red. "He told me that he wishes I had stayed in New York."

Bradley's jaw drops.