Ulterior Motives

Sierra was waiting on the moors for Rhydian as they waited once again for Maddy to return home, as they would, wolf out on the moors, as always, with  a sigh.

Wolfing out tonight, even though the full moon is actually the next night. It was to their not great shock, that they had seen Whitewood, probably havin' heard the two of them.

"It was definitely Whitewood, but she had gone by the time we got outside."

Tom was saying.

"Yeah, she was. But, why come back now?" Shannon asked rhetorically as Sierra looks like she was about to fall asleep.

"I need to go home, get some rest. I rented out a basement suite about an hour from here. I don't go to school here, anymore, remember?" Sierra's voice even sounded exhausted, as for a second, it was clear that they had all forgotten that she was older than all of them.

"Well, she won't find any DNA. We have scrubbed that house, clean." The two humans were sounding way, way too confident in their abilities now.

"And as long as she's only looking for the Smiths, you are the both of you all safe." Shannon pointed out and Sierra shook her head slightly at them, as it's clear that something is up.

Rhydian's eyes were exhausted and it was like every fiber of both of them, it had been sucked out.

"Hey, shouldn't you both be bouncing off of the walls? Full moon eh?" Tom's voice made it clear, that he was much, much more excited then Rhydian was.

"I'm fine." Rhydian said as Sierra beside him, nodded consent to the unspoken question that was also now definitely, being directed right at her, along with him.

"You've told the Vaughns that you're staying at Tom's tonight, right?" There it was, the all too familiar.. patronizin' tone in Shannon's voice.

"Mum's on night shift, she'll never know that you weren't there." Tom's voice jumped excitedly back into their conversation.

"You need to be especially careful now, the both of you. If Whitewood's on the prowl." Shannon said.

"You will have to go way, way, way farther out onto the moors this time, if she is still around." Tom eagerly spit out and Sierra snarled at them both.

The two of them shut up together tightly at once, as Sierra looked at the both of them. "We already have our parents, or at least Rhydian does. You need to stop bugging us like you're the ones who are related to us!" She snaps at them both.

Tom growled slightly. "We heard you last night, she must have, too." He said and Shannon had one more thing to say to them as well.

"Just get as far away from Stoneybridge as you can, just for tonight at least." Shannon said and Tom looked at Sierra.

"Also, aren't you representing your place of work today at the employee fair?" He asked and Sierra growled in frustration.

"Moons." She spat.

Sierra made her way downstairs to the employment fair, before the rest of the students did, and she walked to the Segolia area with a sigh.

"Hello, Rhydian. Maddy says to say 'hi'." The wolfblood next to her insists to him.

"You know Maddy?" Rhydian asks her, quietly and coldly as he sniffed quickly around her.

"Yeah. Her father called, said they were going into the wild. We offered them something better." She said and he raised his eyebrows at Sierra, who shakes her head.

"You? You're the fixer?" Rhydian asked and his vocal tone made it clear that he didn't trust her one bit.

"No, I am the messenger. Dacia Turner, Graduate recruit, Segolia Corporation." She said, sticking out a hand toward him, for him to shake.

"But, yeah, that's one of the things that Segolia does. We've set up a new life for them in Canada. Once they are all settled, she'll be in contact. This was an opportunity to let you know what's going on." Dacia states.

"A few employees know the secret... most of them don't. But some of our staff and several senior executives at Segolia are wolfbloods." Dacia stated again.

"In big business?" Rhydian sounded shocked and Dacia smirked slightly at the surprise in his voice.

"Why not? With our gifts, we have a lot to offer." Dacia said.

"Sat behind a desk all day." Rhydian snorted at the thought of himself that way, in that position.

"It's not all paperwork... hell, even Sierra can tell you that. We protect and serve the company's interests, as well as our own." Dacia looks down at the desk in front of them.

"What, like a Segolia MI6?" Rhydian questioned, soundin' a bit confused at the thought of it all now.

"If you like. Our interests are global, widespread across the world. There is a lot of travel. Perks are great. At full moon, they fly us out to Norway in an fully private jet." Dacia smiled.

"Ahem. It's a bit smaller scale up here." Rhydian points out to her and she smiled brighter.

"I'm looking forward to it. I've given up Norway to meet you. The least you can do, is, show me a full moon, in the small town of Stoneybridge-style." She said and Sierra coughed quietly.

"There's not much 'style' to it actually." Sierra murmured as she walked around the other side of the table.

"Just me. And Sierra." Rhydian says quietly and Dacia looked at them both with realizations in her eyes.

"No family?" Dacia asks and Rhydian shook his head and Sierra looks at her fellow employee of Segolia, and then she was shakin' her head only slightly at her.