49. REHEARSAL DINNER

Start from the beginning

ALIYAH HAD DRESSED AS professionally as she could in the short amount of time that she had — she blames herself.

Brushing down her black pants for the third time since putting it on, she grabs her keys and phone and goes through the house, following her routine of leaving a single light on so people could assume that she was home.

She steps into her heels that she'd left at the door mat before leaving the apartment and locking it behind her.

The drive to the venue for the reception is filled with Bryson Tiller being blasted from the radio. Somehow, this was Aliyah's somber mood playlist.

She wasn't necessarily bouncing off the walls about the fact that the wedding of her exes — if one could call them that in a collective term — is less than twenty-four hours away, but she felt no malice.

If one were to push it, they could even say she was happy for them. She wouldn't lie and say that happiness was well overdue, because it wasn't.

She had gotten over it and now she's at the point of not really giving a fuck about them anymore. As a matter of fact, that seemed to be the case from the beginning. It's just the realization that this will all be over soon — it's enough to bring a smile to Aliyah's made-up face.

Six more songs play before Aliyah pulls into the almost empty parking lot of the Luxe Event Venue building. The lights shone through the windows, letting Aliyah know that the people who were supposed to set up got the job done.

Before leaving the car, she sends Elijah a short text letting him know that she made it safely. It's a short walk in her four-inch heels to get to the front door. She pushes a bright smile on her face before swinging it open and entering. Luckily, she was a couple of minutes early so she could greet everyone as they walk in.

By the time seven minutes had passed, it felt like her face was frozen in that one grinning spot. Her cheeks were starting to cramp and her lip was starting to twitch. Tens of faces had passed before she caught sight of the main stars.

"Hey," Aliyah greets them, her forced smile now falling as they approach her. Somehow, Kayla and Trevor ended up being some of the last people to arrive at their own rehearsal dinner — Aliyah couldn't care less about why, "How are you guys tonight? Nervous? Excited?"

All in all, Aliyah was just going through the motions. Despite the false innocent look on Kayla's face, Aliyah just sucks it up and uses the same chirpy tone she usually uses when the client's wedding is close.

Trevor's eyes seemed to be glued to Aliyah's face, his eyebrows furrowed in thought. She shifts, uncomfortably before mentally rolling her eyes and casting her gaze to the woman across from her, instead.

"I'm nervous and excited," Kayla's lips unfold into a wide grin.

Aliyah nods, "Nothing to be nervous about." It takes everything in her to say her next sentence, "You two are getting married tomorrow and it's gonna be the happiest day of your lives. I promise you."

"