24.

FARRAH WAS STANDING ON PLATFORM 9¾ WITH her stomach in knots as she stared at the crowd in front of her. Somewhere, right through the thick crowd of people hugging and squealing on the platform was her brother. Farrah didn't need to be on good terms with Asher to know that he was waiting for her. Nothing could or would stop the man from picking up his little sister.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," Josh said, looking at the girl, "Asher will forgive you."

"I know that," she responded, eyes unmoving.

Farrah had no fear that Asher wouldn't forgive her. She knew her brother was a big softie through and through. Fear wasn't the emotion that kept her feet planted to the platform.

Disgust and shame, that was what kept her frozen in place.

How could she let this drag on so long? Had she forgotten that Asher was the only family she had left? How had she ignored all the good memories shared between her and her brother for all this time?

She never doubted that Asher would forgive her but she was beginning to wonder if she deserved it.

"You might as well just get it over with," Josh added, "The platform will close with us still standing here."

Farrah rolled her eyes but said nothing as she started to walk towards the barrier. Josh followed right behind her and the two friends exited the platform side by side.  Standing directly opposite the post that hid Platform 9¾ was Asher, his hands tucked in the pockets of his jacket. 

"Asher, my man," Josh said, getting in front of the tension before it started to suffocate him, "Good to see you and thanks for having me."

"You're family, Josh," the Irishman replied, "Wouldn't have it any other way."

They shared fist bumps and Josh pointed in the direction of the car park, "I'll be waiting in the car while you...yeah."

With that, he walked away and left the two MacMillans in an awkward silence.

"You've gotten taller," Asher started, "It seems you've grown a whole half inch."

Farrah rolled her eyes, "Maybe if you weren't slouching all the time, you'd notice that I haven't grown since second year."

"You did have your growth spurt early, didn't you?"

Another silence followed his statement, causing Farrah to sigh.

Might as well get into it.

"Asher..." she trailed off, trying to find the words, "I'm so sorry-"

"Farrah, you don't have to-"

"No," she cut him off, "I've been as thick as a plank for the past few months and I'm sorry it took me this long to realize it. I shouldn't have responded as badly as I did to what you told me. It's just...sometimes, I can feel them fading, ya know? Some days, I wake up and I feel like I can't remember what Mum sounds like. The house, the house keeps me grounded. But it was unfair of me to be such a dosser about you wanting to sell it. I should've at least heard you out before I ate your head off and called you a manky ape."

"You really shouldn't have called me a manky ape," Asher smiled before the grin fell off his lips, "But I can't say I didn't deserve it."

"Asher, you-"

"No, you had your chance to rave. It's my turn now. I shouldn't have just dropped selling the house on you. The minute you stormed out the house, I realized I was being an eejit but I couldn't admit that to you yet. Honestly, I thought you would fold before you left so we could have a heart-to-heart about it. I did not expect you to dye your head and not speak to me for all that time."

Farrah shrugged as he spoke, "I'm learning to stand my ground."

"Oh yes," Asher said, "Consider your ground stood. Ma was probably turning in her grave."

The witch rolled her eyes, "Sorry, not everyone can keep it cool like you, Mr. Peace Corps."

Asher reached out for his sister and pulled her into a hug. Farrah relaxed in her brother's arms and felt the tears stinging the back of her eyes. He planted a kiss on the top of her head, "I'm sorry, kid. I'm really sorry."

"Your apology's been accepted," Farrah said into his chest, "Can we go home now?"

They walked towards their car where they could see Josh stretching into the front seat, fiddling with the radio. When he saw them approaching, he leaned back into the backseat. Asher helped Farrah put her stuff in the trunk of the car before they got in the car. 

"Is everything okay now?" Josh asked as the siblings shut their doors and strapped themselves in.

"Yes, Josh," Farrah answered, "Everything is fine now."

"Thank Merlin," the boy sighed, "I was getting tired of having to do the daily reports. 'Yes, Farrah had breakfast', 'Yes, she passed her Transfiguration exam', 'No, she hasn't gotten eaten by the Giant Squid'."

Farrah turned to the backseat and hit him, "You're a moran. But I love you."

Josh smiled, "Of course you do, it's me."

"Josh is a good kid," Asher said, putting the key in the ignition, "By the way, about this Sirius Black-"

"JOSH!"