+22+

Days were growing shorter, but felt longer at the same time.

Two weeks had passed since that night in the garage. Trees seemed to become next to bare in almost no time at all it felt, the sun setting just a little bit earlier each day as cold weather crept upon Jersey. As quickly as the season shifted, I found myself no longer alone at the base of my favorite tree in the school courtyard. A new change met with an old one- not sure if it was met by my own decision, however.

One day turned into two, into the whole week that Frank would follow me quietly out to the grass beneath the large oak, laying his head next to where my body sat, my back against the tree. Sometimes he would look up at the branches and fiddle with the edge of my skirt as I read, his other hand resting on his stomach. Sometimes he would ask me to read out loud- the first time he asked, I told him that he hated books, and he said he didn't mind the words as much when they came from me. I secretly used the time to read him books from English class in hopes he might retain some of it and have a hope of passing, but he eventually became privy to it and asked me to read something else.

I thought at first that I would hate one of my only special places being invaded by another, but it turned out that I actually kind of enjoyed it. Time spent with Frank could always be so chaotic and unpredictable- it was a different kind of feeling, spending a small portion of the afternoon in a peaceful silence with him. It started to feel like it was perhaps the only peace in my days that was left.

Although I was fearful, I had no choice but to continue living in Beth's home. Nothing had happened since the photos of Frank and I were dropped in the mail-slot, but I couldn't dare be naïve. I worried that the moment I accepted comfort was the moment that something else would happen. I wasn't getting much sleep.

"If Romeo and Juliet were living now instead of like five million years ago, what do you think their names would be?" Frank babbled, one hand separating his head from the ground, the other twirling around a cherry sucker.

I smirked without looking up from my book, a small breeze passing by.

"What kind of question is that?"

"I dunno, because it's funny."

"Ronald and... Janet?"

"Ew," Frank laughed, biting the top of the sucker.

I chuckled and looked at him, shrugging my shoulders. Growing up I thought I never knew how to make jokes to other people, but Frank always laughed when I made an attempt. It felt good.

"That doesn't really count, but I'm surprised to hear you actually bring up a book that has to do with school."

"I thought maybe if I started trying to pay attention in class that you would stop trying to trick me into reading it," he retorted, winking.

I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my book, feeling content. I would never admit it to him, but our lunch hours in the courtyard started to become something I looked forward to. He would never let me live it down if I confessed that I actually didn't detest him quite as much as I used to. I likely needed to work on forgiving myself for that first.

The silence returned and I found myself wrapped back up in what I was reading, not noticing the new presence standing in front of us a few minutes later.

"Mrs. Harper, may I have a word?"

The voice startled me, my book tumbling off of my lap and onto the ground. Frank immediately sat up next to me, grabbing it and handing it back to me.

"Sister Catherine, I'm sorry, you startled me. Is there something wrong?" I asked, brushing the stray grass off the cover.

"I'd just like to speak with you in my office, please."