6: The Plan

"Ah, crap! Why are you sitting on the sidewalk like that? Didn't you call someone to pick you up?"

At the harried exclamation, Yeoreum looked up and to her surprise, found Yoongi hovering above her. "Min Yoongi-ssi! I thought you've left."

"I—" He shrugged and ran his fingers through his hair, seemingly frustrated with himself. "Do you need me to help you get up or can you do it yourself?"

Ignoring his question, she asked, "Why did you come back?"

"Well, I—"

He scratched the back of his ear, something he often did when he was nervous, then glanced at her as if deciding what to say. She met his gaze head-on, pleading for honesty.

Yoongi had to care for her. He had to. Otherwise, he would have had no qualms about leaving her behind. Yet, here he was. If there was one thing she knew about him, it was that his actions spoke what his words couldn't.

 If there was one thing she knew about him, it was that his actions spoke what his words couldn't

"There are many bad guys around..." he grumbled.

In spite of everything, Yeoreum couldn't help but smile. She stared at him, taking in every inch of his face, from his disheveled, overgrown hair to his rose-hued lips perpetually in a pout. How was she ever supposed to give up when just the mere sight of him meant the difference between a monochromatic existence and that in full color? It had always been this way and she suspected, would continue to be so until the end.

"Wh-why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because I like you so much, you know that?"

"M-me?"

"Yes, you!"

He scoffed, rolling his eyes. "You're drunk. That's why you're saying all this nonsense. Now get up and let's go. I'll help you find a taxi."

Yeoreum raised her arms above her head. "Carry me, please?"

"Do I really have to?"

He looked pained, the features on his face unable to decide which expression to take. Yeoreum took that as a good sign. At least it wasn't a flat-out rejection. Pressing her fingers against her temples, she put on her most pitiful expression. "I'm dizzy. Help me, please?"

When he sighed and crouched down with his back towards her, she barely held back a triumphant giggle. Instead, she hopped on his back with enough force to almost topple them both.

"Ack! Be careful," he said, grabbing the back of her knees and standing up with a groan.

Yeoreum wrapped her arms around his neck and buried a wide grin against the soft fabric of his coat. While Yoongi walked towards the main street, a plan quickly formed in her head. By the time he flagged down a cab, she had shut her eyes and let her body fall slack.

"Kim Yeoreum-ssi," he grunted, as he pulled open the car door and carefully lowered her down against the car seat.

Yeoreum let her body fall against the seat, head lolling as if deep in slumber. The scent of the seat cushion, musty from years of accumulated grime and goodness knew what else, almost made her gag. But the success of her plan relied on the excellence of her acting, so she gritted her teeth and swallowed.