1: December Rain

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬  ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

This story is part of the Remember December Anthology. Check it out over at BornToWrite47's profile. We're also doing a giveaway where you can win an Amazon gift card, story critiques, book graphics, and shoutouts. So don't forget to check it out~ 

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ 

Lightning streaked through the sky, momentarily diluting its intense blood crimson hue to a softer shade of rose

Lightning streaked through the sky, momentarily diluting its intense blood crimson hue to a softer shade of rose. Min Yoongi abruptly stopped in his tracks to observe the strange phenomenon. He couldn't even remember the last time it rained in December. It was supposedly the driest month of the year.

"And they say climate change isn't real," he muttered with a slight shake of his head.

Ignoring the annoyed curses aimed his way, he unzipped his backpack, took out the camera he always carried for times like this, and fiddled with the settings to find the best angle for a shot. Just then, the city's newly completed Sky Rail hissed overhead dangling from an almost invisible sheet of metal. It was as if the world was split into two and another dimension appeared above where an overgrown snake glided through a blood-tainted river.

Perfect.

Pressing on the shutter, he launched a barrage of clicks. A quick review showed he got the perfect photo for his next think piece. Satisfied, he tucked his camera away and resumed his leisurely walk. He was only a block away from the radio station where he worked as a DJ for a late-night program when water droplets started pouring from the sky. Pulling up the hood of his goose-feather jacket, Yoongi hastened his steps, the earthy scent of rain invading his nostrils. Soon, the cold seeped into every crevice left exposed by his clothing. His teeth started chattering. When the rain began pouring in earnest, quickly consuming the light grey pavement with black splatters, he broke into a run.

Panting, he ducked into the convenience store on the ground floor of his office building. Heat blasted him in the face, providing much-needed relief. With icy hands, he swung his backpack off, searched for the pack of tissues he kept inside, and wiped himself dry. After discarding his trash, he went in search of his usual dinner--- instant ramyeon topped with an egg.

Avoiding the crowd blocking the passages near the counter, Yoongi took the long way by going to the back where a refrigeration unit occupied the entire wall. One column was lit a neon pink with posters advertising a soju brand claiming the ability to erase painful memories after drinking a bottle. Personally, he thought it was a load of bull, but many of his peers swore by its efficacy. Never in his life would he try it, though, so he'll never know for certain, too.