Chapter Five - Brother Turned Kidnapper

Start from the beginning

"Hiya sis!" Arlo exclaimed, poking his head out.

She sighed as she climbed into the back, which had two rows of seats installed meaning six people could sit in the back comfortably. Add in the drivers seat and passenger seat in the front, then it was a van for eight. Reid and Diego sat in the very back, leaving the middle space free between them. Arlo sat in middle of the row she sat in, meaning either way she was sitting next to him.

She heaved the door shut behind her, dumping her rucksack on the floor. She leant towards the door when a duffel bag came flying over the front seat, landing on Arlo. He groaned in pain, shoving the bag to the floor.

"Thanks big bro." He groaned out, holding his stomach.

Kalmin climbed into the driver's seat, Myles in the passenger.

"No problem," He replied monotonously, twisting the key in the ignition. The van jumped life, and then they were off.

Cameron bounced her leg as they sat in silence, the tense atmosphere twirling around them. There were no windows on the side, so she couldn't see outside. The seats in front blocked her view from the front window.

"Well, isn't this fun," Arlo exclaimed, breaking the silence. "All we need is Lloyd and then we'll have the whole family squad together."

Cameron furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm not part of this family."

A scoff from behind her made her turn to face Diego, over the back of her seat.

"Problem?" She questioned. The tense atmosphere thickened. Diego scowled back at her. 

"Yes." He replied. "You are our sister. I don't understand why you won't accept it."

Cameron hummed sarcastically, as if thinking over her answer. "Hmm, maybe, I've grown up as an only child my whole life," She suggested, "Or maybe, my parents never mentioned any brothers. Maybe, every time I've asked about family, I'm told I only have my parents." She gasped dramatically, hand over her mouth as she did so. "Maybe, it's not normal for five random strangers to appear in my life and say they are my brothers! I have no idea who you are!"

The tense silence in the truck after her exclamation was suffocating.

"Maybe that's why I'm having a tough time believing you are my brothers." She stated with a glare. She turned back to the front and slouched down in her seat, arms crossed.

She stayed sat glaring at the back of the seat, even when Arlo and Myles started a conversation. About what, she didn't bother to listen properly. Her thoughts were stomping around in her head, adding on to her already pounding headache. She rubbed her eyes tiredly with her fingers, and blinked lazily afterwards getting rid of the bleariness.

This situation was crazy. It shouldn't be happening. She shouldn't be stuck in a van with five of her supposed-brothers. 

It was her curiosities fault. As much as she denied it, she wanted to know why they thought they were her brothers. She was curious to understand if she did actually have family out there, even though her parents had told her she didn't.

They both had repeatedly drilled into her head that they had no family. Both sets of their parents were dead, they were only children themselves and Cameron had no siblings. It was only the three of them.

 They had been good parents, until the situation changed, and Cameron emancipated herself at sixteen years of age.

"Cameron."

She hummed in acknowledgement, still going over her thoughts.

"We have a DNA test, you know." 

Cameron blinked in surprise, taking her eyes away from the back of the passenger seat and focusing on Myles. 

"What?"

"We had a DNA test done. That's how we know we're related." Myles stated softly, staring back at her, waiting for her reaction.  

Cameron froze, her mind blank. They'd had a DNA test done? How? They would need her DNA.

"How?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

"How do you think a DNA test is done?" Diego scoffed from the back. Myles shot him a dirty look.

Cameron flipped him the bird, much to Arlo's dramatic gasp. 

"I know how they're done." She hissed. She gave her attention back to Myles. "How did you get my DNA?" 

Myles glanced away, not willing to meet her eyes. 

"We invited ourselves into your apartment!" Arlo declared cheerfully, showing his dimples off as he grinned. "You were sleeping, Diego broke a plate, and we took some of your hair and a swab from your cheek."

Cameron glared at him, cheeks heating up with anger at the fact they had broke into her apartment. She remembered waking up the next morning, one plate less in her kitchen. That had been a couple of weeks ago. They had been watching her for that long?

Arlo must have took her red cheeks for embarrassment, because his grin somehow widened. "Don't worry, Diego still sleeps with a light on. You're not the only one."

Diego growled, reaching over the seats to smack Arlo over the head. Cameron smirked at his pouting face as he rubbed the back of his head.

 "I want to see the results." Cameron declared. She needed to see if it was true.

"They're back at the hotel room." Kalmin stated, eyes staying on the road. "You can see them after we've got food."

Cameron nodded, satisfied with that answer. She would know soon. The truth, and nothing but the truth.