Chapter 27: The Great War

The crew took a deep breath and started their search for Shaytan and his slough of monsters. This was their moment of truth. Abaddon was about to enter its greatest war of all time and it was up to these five young souls to save the world.

As they looked around at the remains of the lifeless bodies and the trail of the enemy, they each had their own way of dealing with it.

Knock looked around at the scenery of burnt trees and houses. It reminded him of his family. He really hadn't thought much about them since he joined the crew but the sight of all the destruction made him upset.

He walked passed Mrs. Quackers’ body and saw how horribly it was mangled with her cane stabbed through her stomach.

Knock instantly broke out into tears. "Mrs. Quackers! NO! Please come back alive!"

He laid there next to her side and gave her a giant bear hug. "Why isn't she moving no more?"

The crew didn't know what to say. Jack slowly walked over to Knock and gave him a hug. "It will be okay lil' fella. She's in a happy place now."

Knock wiped his big snout with his paw and got snot all over his fur. "Is she making cookies dere?"

Jack nodded as a tear rolled down his face. "Yeah Knock, all the cookies you can eat."

Knock looked at Mrs. Quackers again and back at Jack. He had no more words to say.

"Come on guys," Grace said in a calming and soothing voice, "Let's keep going."

Grace was trying not to get too sentimental at the moment. She knew that wouldn't help matters at all. She had to be strong for the rest of the crew. She knew that it was her destiny to save Abaddon and she wouldn't be able to do it if she let her emotions run wild.

Rascal, on the other hand, walked alongside of the crew and didn't really say much. However, you could see it in his face and his tightly clenched fists that he was angry. He was so upset at this whole situation that he was about ready to punch something. He decided the best option was to trigger that anger into fighting some monsters and Shaytan, the one who ultimately stole his friend away.

The crew continued on their path and basically followed the trail of blood. They could smell the sulfur and ash in the wind and it was coming from the west. Rascal took a strong whiff and said, "Shaytan's this way! I can feel it."

The rest of the crew didn't even question Rascal's statement. They could all feel it too. Shaytan had this eerie presence about him and Abaddon itself clearly showed the dark haze around the cliffs to the west. It was evident that they would find the demon king there.

Grace took a deep breath and looked back at her crew. She was slightly ahead of them and was trying to be brave as their leader. "Alright, listen up." she huffed. "I'm really not the best at this but I'm going to try. I sure wish Brownspot and Adam were here with me but if I've learned anything from them, it’s that you can't give up hope."