Chapter 10: The Rescue Mission

The city of Homeric was once the capital kingdom of Abaddon. It had the most beautiful buildings, the most gorgeous landscapes and the most abundant population of animals. Millions of animals once lived there including Jack himself.

Although, since Grimmy the sorcerer wolf had attacked, the city was full of rubble and broken buildings. The streets were either completely covered with blood from the animals or ash from the fires. It was devastating to be there. The castle within the city had been transformed from a beautiful majestic temple to a horrific dungeon with coal colored walls and sharp jagged pillars. The vibrant colors of the palace's interior were transformed to gloomy charcoal. The beautiful water underneath the castle gate was now a pit of brimstone. The throne room had been transformed from a welcoming dining area to a poorly lit slum. The basement with all of its marvelous rooms of tropical climates was transformed into a cold wet dungeon. Abaddon could sense this change in its climate which made it frightening to be around there.

As the heroic crew arrived at Homeric City, a creepy feeling was instantly bestowed upon them. The city itself was a ghost land. No one was around. All breathing organisms except for the members of the crew were locked up behind the castle walls. Not to mention that the walls of the castle were sealed shut and the gate to the get through them was closed. It always used to be open and welcoming of guests.

Adam gazed around at the giant barriers preventing their entrance to the castle. "How are we supposed to get in?"

"Check the map, Jack." Grace whispered, "What does it say?"

"I don't need a bloody map "Jack sassed "I can find my own way in.

Jack hopped around for a while searching for a way in. He wasn't having any luck until finally he arrived at the back side of the castle and noticed that there was a small dark crack in the wall. He scratched his chin for a bit and then a light bulb went off in his head.

He announced to the crew, "Well Blimey folks. I told you I didn't need no bloody map. Look there, mates."

Jack pointed to the small crack in the corner of the wall.

"Your point" Grace said.

"Use your imagination Sheila." Jack patted her on the back, "Maybe we could climb through that hole. It might lead us to the basement."

Graced stared at the crack in the wall. "Um, not to be rude or anything Jack but there's no way."

"It's a bit too tight Jack." Adam added as he yanked his shoe out of the hole after trying to climb in. "What does the map say?"

Adam grabbed the map away from Jack and examined it. Sure enough, right smack dab on the map was a picture of a small hole in the side of the castle wall. "Wow! This is one specific map!" he said.

Grace glanced at the map and replied, "It looks like this hole leads right into the basement dungeon. Wow. How are we supposed to get down there?"

"Don't need a map, huh?" Adam snickered at Jack.