“I want to apologize for my son. I know you would have never just left, especially without Charlie. Clary told me he hasn’t been very…”

He was obviously looking for a word to describe his behavior, but I shook my head and flushed.

Clary had promised me not to tell anyone!

“There is nothing you or Damien would need to apologize for. If Damien doesn’t want me around that is his good right after everything I did.

You all have been so generous, not just to Charlie, but me too! You paid for this apartment, the hospitals bills, the flight here and you let me stay at your house. All of that was already much more than I deserved.”, I tried to convince him but now he was the one to shake his head.

“I am afraid Damien’s behavior is my fault. This isn’t easy for him, yes, but you are the last person he wanted to get hurt because of it. I am not in any place to give you his reasons, but I am here to make you an offer.”

He looked at me, waiting for an answer and I bit my lip.

“What kind of offer? I told you, you have already done so much for me.”

He sighed but then smiled at me.

“Well, can I come in, then I can explain the technicalities to you.”

I stepped out of the doorway.

“Of course.”, I responded nervously, and could only hardly suppress the words Mr Black coming out of my mouth too.

I offered him a seat, but he shook his head again.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to stay for very long. Work is busy right now. And that is also the reason why I am here. I want to offer you a job at our company.”

My gaze shot in his direction.

“What?”, I asked in disbelief and he smiled a little.

“Well, I know that you have been applying for a bunch of different jobs in Pittsburgh and even though we are happy to provide you everything you need, I understand that you would rather make money on your own and I respect that. I think you are a very competent and hard-working young woman and we would be happy to have you, only if you want of course.”

I was speechless for a few seconds but when I found my voice again I nodded and said: “That would be amazing, but you really don’t have to. This is New York, I am sure I will find a job somewhere and I don’t want to be preferred over any other candidates out of pity.”

“Pity?”, he asked surprised and I flushed again.

“I have to admit when you first told us what happened I was quite shocked but none of us help you because of pity. That we have only gotten to meet you now is a shame but from what I can tell you have had your reasons for everything you did. You have been a great mother to Charlie, and everyone makes mistakes.

You can’t blame yourself for everything that happened. But now, what do you say, will you take the offer?”

After Mr Black had said goodbye to me and his grandson, he left, but not before making sure I had all the information needed.

I couldn’t believe my luck.

I had insisted on starting next Monday already even though it had taken me a while to convince Mr Black that I was feeling well enough to start that early.

I would only work part-time, and Charlie would be staying with Mr and Mrs Black until around 2 or 3 p.m. from Monday through Thursday.

I wouldn’t have to work on Friday.

It was perfect.

The rest of the day Charlie and I spent together.

In the afternoon we went to a little café down the street and while he got some apple juice a chocolate chip cupcake, I got a coffee and a piece of apple crumble.

It was delicious. I had totally forgotten how good the food was here.

After we had finished, we had gone back to our new apartment and watched his favorite movie, Disney’s Aladdin, and for a short moment everything was how it used to be.

It was crazy how your life could change entirely in only a couple of days.