Volume 2: Chapter 5

Bonds of Hydrangea

Part 1

"Nn〜...it's strange after all..."
"Taiga, you've been glaring at the terminal for a while now, what happened?"
The next day after they heard about Fuyuki's and Shio's past, Taiga, wearing his school uniform was visiting 《Paradise》 to have breakfast. Unfortunately, it was raining today; the rain that poured down quietly caused the air to have an indescribable taste.
Like she usually did, Rui made the breakfast while wearing the maid outfit, but she was also worried about Taiga who kept fiddling with his terminal, she stopped her hands and inquired about that.
"Nothing, I tried to contact Shio ever since yesterday, but she didn't answer at all. I was wondering at what time should I dive today."
Although he tried both interactive communication and e-mailing her, there was no response at all. Shio wasn't attending school, and thinking that she slept until this late wasn't believable. It wasn't weird for Taiga to worry, though Rui was worried about something else.
"...just when did you get Shio-chan's contact address?"
"When, you ask. Yesterday. We can't meet in the real world, it would be inconvenient not to know it."
"...mu—"
He was right, he was right but——that wasn't interesting at all.
Rui forgot she was currently in the middle of cooking and stretched her hand towards Taiga's cheek, she pulled it lightly.
"...ut ah oo oing?
"It's been only a day since you met right? Rui-san thinks it a bit too fast."
Rui was blatantly unhappy, she repeated the same thing three times, and after pulling a bit harder in the end she let go. Taiga refuted while rubbing his slightly red cheek.
"Even though you say that... I've asked for Rui's contact info on the day we met as well right?"
"That's true, but somehow I'm not convinced..."
"What's up with that..."
Recently, Rui's mood often turned for the worse like that all of a sudden. Although it usually had something to do with Fuyuki, it seemed like it wasn't limited to her.
"I've already told you yesterday, a lot happened. It wasn't long but it was pretty intense, so the distance between us shrunk naturally."
"...I know that but..."
Since Rui quickly became close to him in a similar way, she couldn't deny it.
"...speaking of which, why is Fuyuki taking a day off? Did her physical ability give out?"
Only Taiga and Rui were present in Paradise at the moment,the black-haired petite girl that was usually next to them was absent.
"No, that's not it. She wanted to recreate the program she gave Shio in the past no matter what. 'This time I won't run away, in order to get my friend back' is what she said."
Using all her abilities, I'll make an improved version——after saying so last night, Fuyuki began to work in the dive room.
"Is that so. Is that all right? What if she passes out in the room..."
"When I went to check up on her in the morning, she was sleeping on the floor. I carried her to bed and prepared breakfast. She should be eating it when she wakes up."
"Eh? Taiga, you can cook?"
"Well, I just made simple rice balls with just rice and nothing else inside."
It was a great help that rice cookers were fully automated these days.
Although he wanted to take a day off together with her, Taiga was absent from the school for 10 days already in just this semester. If he took any more days off, it would impact both his grades and the way teachers view him. That's why even though he was reluctant, he left for school leaving his exhausted, sleeping little sister behind.
"...still, that Shio, what happened to her?"
"...maybe Taiga was too harsh and she decided to ignore you?"
"Uguu..."
No, the fact he couldn't rule out that possibility made him anxious.
"Is having to listen to someone's worries annoying after all..?"
'...well Rui-san was always listening to Fuyuki's chatter. I don't mind it〜"
Although it seemed like she was in a good mood yesterday... but even trifling things could trigger a change of heart for better or worse.
...that Karasuba bunch, they really do pointless things.
Shio wasn't acknowledged by her family in the past. Although she slowly changed herself, with a single opportunity, she could step back into the darkness again.
An indescribable unease spread inside Taiga as he started to eat the breakfast Rui made.