Chapter 27 - Weak

"You're just like Harry Potter now." Sydney says, referring to the scar on Miles' forehead. She came to visit him after her pleasantly surprising talk with the counsellor, keeping Miles company while Axel went off with Fraser.

"Yep, just without the glasses."

"Who would have thought that it would be the glasses you were missing." Sydney replies, chuckling as she remembers Miles' infamous pair of large black spectacles. The pair long forgotten on his bedside table, abandoned since he had first awoken from death all those nights ago.

That night feels like a dream now. At first it felt like a nightmare, something Miles was sure would haunt him for the rest of his potentially very long life, but as time went by the memory slowly lost its effect. The past no longer scares him. It's the future that Miles is more tentative about.

"Is it weird that I miss them? I'm just so used to seeing myself with glasses that it's still a bit of a shock when I see myself without them."

"No, I don't think it's weird. And for what it's worth, I think you look just as good without them."

Miles grins, resting his head on Sydney's shoulder. They settle into a comfortable silence. The sunlight seeping through the open window casts a gentle blanket over them. They can almost feel the warmth of it, the golden rays of sun on their skin. But unfortunately, their bodies are cursed to be cold forever. So at times like this, when they yearn to feel the warmth again, they rely on memories and imagination. Ones of hot showers and warm baths. Of sunbathing by the pool or the beach. Of previous summers and heatwaves. Of coffees and teas and soups on sick days.

Miles is pulled out of his thoughts when he hears the hoots of an owl close to the window. He focuses his hearing, trying to figure out if he can hear any other animals, but doesn't manage to decipher much. All the cabins are made soundproof, making it easier and more comfortable for the sensitive ears of vampires. Axel's been meaning to test out just how soundproof the walls are when he finally gets to be alone with Miles, much to his excitement.

Miles quickly realises that he likes it here and turns to ask Sydney whether she thinks the same.

"It's definitely different." She answers as she scans her eyes over the small cabin. "I've never been one for the outdoors but it's nice here. Warm. Not literally, but you get what I mean."

"Yeah, in like a summer camp sort of way."

"Exactly."

"So has anyone here caught your eye." Miles asks, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Sydney shakes her head. "No, well not here at least. Remember the girl at the gas station? Blaire? Well we've been talking a lot recently."

"Go on." Miles says excitedly, encouraging Sydney to speak more on the subject.

"She's nice."

"Nice?! Is that all I get."

"And funny."

"Uh huh."

"And really pretty." Sydney concludes, falling backwards onto the bed. Miles laughs, falling back with her.

"Do you like her?"

She nods her head. "Yeah."

"Well I hope everything turns out well for you."

"So do I."

Before another silence can completely settle, Sydney asks "So how do you think Axel's doing?"