Chapter 22 - I Know

"I could kill you right now." Axel snarls as Lawson stands beside her car. Her red stilettos match her lipstick. Her suit, the same colour as her raven hair.

"And leave the 2 of them unprotected?" She smirks, pointing a finger at Sydney, who's standing a good distance behind the two boys.

Sydney's still in shock from witnessing Axel's homicidal outburst. It was something she had never seen before. All the movies she had previously watched in her lifetime have failed to expose her to such violence. And then to see Axel's sudden change in demeanour as he looked at Miles, was just as shocking. Like Axel had been 2 different people. There's a version of him that Sydney doesn't know about. And to be honest, she wants to keep it that way.

Ignorance is bliss.

Some demons just have to be fought on their own.

Lawson is right. Axel can't fight her and protect both Miles and Sydney at the same time. In order for Axel to keep them as safe as possible, he would need both of them to leave.

Sydney's the closest to the boarder. She could make a run for it, get some help. As for Miles, I have no idea when he'll wake up, or whether he'll be in the condition to walk, let alone run. Sydney could carry him. But it would be a race between her and Lawson to see who would get to Miles first. I can only hold her off for so long. So there's only one logical choice here.

"Sydney, I need you to make a run for it."

"What?!" Sydney exclaims, walking towards Axel.

"No! Stay back! Get out of here!" He warns.

"Axel, you know I can't do that. I'm not leaving the two of you behind."

"I'm not letting you get hurt again. I can't lose both of you. So get help. Cross the boarder. And find the other clan."

"Axe." She insists.

"Sydney, I'm begging you." Axel pleads, looking at her with tears in his eyes. "Just go."

Sydney spares one last glance at the two boys before finally running away, down the deserted road, to what she can only hope is some help.

"Aww, you let her go. Good choice. I was planning on killing her first."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Axel yells, still holding onto Miles. "They have nothing to do with this. So if it's me that you want, if it's me that you wish to hurt, then fine, do it. But not them. Don't you dare hurt them." His tone is menacing, dangerous as he scowls at the new leader.

"Attachments make people weak Axel. You of all people should know this. Isn't that how you managed to kill Elias?" There's always amusement in her voice as she talks, like she enjoys ridiculing him.

"Don't say another word." Axel warns.

"It wasn't my idea, you know. I wanted to do it the old fashioned way and hunt you down. But they-" Lawson gestures to the greying bodies in distaste. "Had other plans. The crash was completely improvised. I had no say in it. But it was quite the touch, don't you think? A little trip down memory lane."

"To mock me?" Axel spits.

"No, to remind you. Of Elias' gift to you. The one you threw back in his face. To remind you of who you belong to. Who you betrayed."

"Betrayed?!" Axel echoes. "I was kidnapped!"

"Oh spare us the details, we've heard it all before." She dismisses in an annoyed tone. "Elias' plan on killing your father backfired and he ended up killing you instead. He turned you, took you in, and forgot all about the rest of us."