Chapter 11 - Please

It took them an hour to finally get rid of the vampires chasing after them. It was like they were around every corner, lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce. But the three were just as persistent as they were.

Considering Miles has been living in the same place his whole life, he knows all the secret passageways and routes, and managed to get them away from the vampires and to the Stupidly Tall Building in no time (one hour).

"So what the hell are we gonna do now?" Sydney asks, breathing heavily from all the running.

They're on the top floor, looking out at all the houses below. One advantage of being in the building is that they can see their enemy coming from afar. But getting away without being caught would be tricky considering there's only one staircase. But it's the only safe place they've got right now. And it's nice, in a nostalgic type of way, to be back in the rundown building. To be back in their place. Where Miles feels bravest. Where Axel feels most at ease.

"There's only one thing we can do right now. We have to leave." Miles says as he holds onto the railing and looks out at the view.

"The clan is ruthless. They won't stop until they've got all of us captured. And that new leader of there's doesn't seem like she'll let us off easy. So leaving is our best bet." Axel interjects.

"When you say leave, do you mean the city?"

"The state." Axel responds.

"The state?" Sydney echoes.

"Hear me out." Miles goes to sit beside Sydney on the floor while Axel continues to speak.

"While I was at the mansion, Elias told me something. He said that in every state there was a leader. A head vampire. And each leader enforces their own rules in their own state, just like with laws. So if we go into another state, a state with laws that can protect us from the new leader and the clan, we'll be safe."

"Wait, I think I've heard about this before." Sydney comments, thinking carefully. "Yes, at the bar. Kyle told me that in his state, where he was turned, they never had mansions. A lot were left to figure stuff out on their own."

"That must have been hard." Miles adds. "I don't know what I would have done if I had to go through this alone."

"Luckily we don't." Axel says, finally sitting down with them on the floor and forming a little circle.

"Okay, so back to the state thing. How do we find out about their rules? How do we know we're not breaking any of them?" Sydney asks.

"The rules aren't written down anywhere. We'll just have to go to the nearest state and figure it out from there."

"So basically we're going in blind." Miles comments.

"It's better than being hunted by killer vampires I'll tell you that much. So I'm all in." Sydney chimes.

"It's the best plan we've got Miles. So what about you? Are you in too?"

Miles looks at Axel and Sydney, at their patient yet expectant faces. He looks at the scene in front of him, the sky turning a pale shade of blue as the sun begins to rise. He looks in the direction of his home, still sectioned off, and thinks about his parents. The idea of leaving them behind making his heart ache even more than he thought it would. But there's only one answer Miles can give.

"Yeah, I'm in."

•••••••

The day has been an incredibly long one. Not only did they say goodbye to Julian, they fought at the bar and then escaped from the vampires who were trying to capture them. They are beyond exhaustion, their bodies screaming for sleep (which vampires needed), and neither Axel nor Miles are surprised to see that Sydney is the first to go.

"You should catch some sleep too Miles. I'll take first watch."

"No, no you did a lot more than me today. I'll be fine keeping watch."

"You sure?" Axel yawns then and Miles smirks, kissing him on the cheek.

"Yes, I'm sure."

Axel rests his head in Miles' lap and falls asleep to the feeling of Miles' fingers playing with his short black hair.

When Miles is certain that he's asleep, he pulls out his phone from his pocket.

4:28

19%

And writes a text message to his mom.

The first time he's contacted her since his turning.

A letter goodbye.

Mom,

this past year has been a crazy one. Crazier than you will ever know. I know it's felt like I've changed. And that's because I have. I'm gay, but you already know that. I'm with Axel, again that's nothing new. I've made a new friend called Sydney, that you didn't know. And finally, something that I didn't even see coming myself, is that I'm going away. I'm leaving. And I'm not sure when I'm coming back.

Please don't worry. Please don't make it seem like it's anyone else's fault, because it isn't. It's mine. It's ours. Me, Axel and Sydney's. Please don't hate me or get angry, even though I totally get why you would be. Please don't feel like I'm leaving you or dad. I'm not. I'm just leaving this. This place. This message. This life which I can't have anymore. I'm starting from the beginning. And I know it's going to be hard, I know this may seem like it's coming out of nowhere, but just know that I'm going to be okay. And that this is what's best. And that I love you and dad so so much.

So goodbye for now. And just know, this won't be the last time I see you.

••••••••
A/N

Yes, this is set in America but I have literally zero knowledge of the cities and states or where this story is even set. And because of that I'm refraining from mentioning any actual places. So I'm sorry if I'm being really vague and unrealistic and stuff (I should probably have set this in a place that I know lol).