Chapter 23 - The Woman With The Scar

Axel holds onto Miles tightly as he runs down the road, his body limp in his arms. With every step he takes, Axel knows he's getting closer to safety. Closer to a new beginning. And it's motivation enough for Axel to keep running, until his legs go numb and then heal again.

From the distance, he spots a van. He doesn't have time to decide whether to run from it or not before it stops at his feet. The door quickly slides open and Axel gasps as he lays his eyes on Sydney.

"Quit gawking at me and get in the van." Sydney says, motioning for Axel to get in. But he doesn't want to get in another vehicle, especially after everything that has happened. Because nothing good ever happens when he's in a car. But Sydney keeps looking at him with pleading eyes, and Miles isn't looking at him, and as much as he really doesn't want to, as much as it terrifies him, Axel steps foot into the van.

It's darkly lit inside. And Axel doesn't notice the other people until he's sitting down beside Sydney, with Miles resting over their legs. The makeshift bandage around Miles' head is already soaked through with blood. Vampire blood isn't the same. It isn't as intoxicating as that of a human's. It doesn't have the same pull. And yet Axel can't help but loom protectively over Miles and shield him from the 3 strangers.

"Is this the Miles you were talking about? He doesn't look so good." One of the people in the van say. And Axel realises then that besides the man's voice, the wind hitting against the windows, and the wheels skidding against the bumpy road - there's quiet. There's a common misconception about vampires, that their enhanced hearing makes everything louder. And whilst it does help them hone in on sounds, in reality, it just makes them notice the silence more.

And the most prominent kind, the one that makes their ears ring, is the silence within them. The loss of a heartbeat.

They're vampires. Axel thinks. We all are.

Sydney nods her head in response to the previous comment. "He's not healing." She says, holding onto Miles' pale hand.

The 3 people in the van look at each other, and then at Miles.

"There's someone at the base who can help."

Axel would usually be more skeptical, but he's desperate. So if there's any chance of hope, of help, he'll take it.

"Who are you guys?" Axel asks, his tone the furthest thing from friendly despite his current situation.

"We should be asking you that question. You're the ones in our territory."

"Excuse my friend." Sydney quickly interrupts, glaring at Axel who ignores her. "He's just a little worked up. That's his boyfriend you see."

The strangers nod their heads in understanding. Then Sydney turns to Axel, whispering to him. "They're literally saving us. Could you not be a little nicer?"

"You know they're vampires right? They can hear us even if we whisper."

Sydney chuckles awkwardly as she turns to face the strangers, who were already looking at her in return.

"So...how long till we get there?"

•••••••

The 'base' as they called it was around 30 minutes away from the boarder. Axel expected another huge mansion, or a gated community secluded from the rest of civilisation. What he didn't expect however, is a camp.