Chapter 29

Wade

Present

A knock on the door makes me rise from the infirmary chair "Alpha, Our King requests an audience with you. Please follow me" I nod and turn back to Trey

"I'll speak to you later" I follow the guard out. We twist down many corridors, passing doors with unknown rooms beyond. "Welcome to the King's Wing" the guard opens the gold trimmed doors. I'm seeing a pattern here. I had been here earlier in the day, as before, beyond the double doors is a large entrance hall. A woman sat behind a desk looks up when the door's opened.

"His majesty is busy" she states formally, going back to some papers on her desk. Her cropped red hair curtaining her face "His majesty requested him personally. It's Alpha Blackwood." She doesn't look up, she's quiet for a moment. "Very well, he'll see you now" she stands "You can go Enzo" the guard nods and turns on his heel. "Follow me" she saunters down a corridor. I pass the meeting room I was in earlier that day, but we continue. She stops at a pair of double doors and knocks, three loud raps. "Enter" King Xaver's voice floats through the white wood, she pushes the door gesturing for me to go in.

His office is obviously part of a tower, the circular room adorned with paintings of wolves, a portrait of his family stands proudly above a fireplace. "Sit" his voice stony. A chill creeps over my arms and spine but I sit in a chair opposite his huge mahogany desk. He looked over his finger tips towards me. I could see him simmering beneath his expressionless face.

"I will ask this once" his voice cold "Did you harm my daughter... in... that-" he doesn't want to say it, what father would?

"No" my voice firm "If one of my wolves has touched her in that way I will tear them limb from limb, after he's been pumped with wolfsbane and suspended by his thumbs in silver" I snarl unable to keep the growl from my voice as my anger flares.

A small smile crosses King Xander's lips "Commendable, but you have a lot to learn about torture" his golden eyes flash in menace "Do you have any idea if... if it happened?" his voice catching again. "No Sir, I'm guessing by your reaction she hasn't eluded to this before?" he shakes his head sadly "No, usually her pleas are to be let go, or for no more wolfsbane. Or..."

He takes a shuddering breath, obviously struggling to speak of his daughters torment "Or for me to forgive her, that she fought" he gulps. His blank expression changes, and sat before me was a tired, stressed man. A man that hadn't slept well in weeks, probably months. "She did fight, she killed my Beta's father. He was strong, stronger than many." I hoped my words would bring some comfort

"I know, she told me. She apologised for having to kill... she apologised" he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I don't wish to cross a line my King, so forgive me if I speak out of turn. When was the last time you slept, properly?" I ask carefully

"Please, Xander." he sighs "I haven't slept since my children were taken. I thought I would sleep now they are safely under my roof... But I cannot protect them from their nightmares" he rubs his temples.

I can only imagine the fog that would cloud his mind. "Let me look after her. I can send my Beta to look after my pack until she is well again."

"I know you have responsibilities of your pack, so I will only allow you to stay for a month. If you allow, I can send an advisor with your Beta. Ensure your pack is in excellent hands". His posture slumps. His facade disappearing before my eyes.

"That's most kind. I believe the mate bond will help her. If her wolf has been anything like mine, the constant pining does not foster a healthy mind to heal. How's your youngest?" again, carefully asked, he could still reach over and tear out my throat if I insult him. "Christopher has sprung back reasonably well, he's a lot younger than he was, but can only be expected. He has nightmares, he cries. He asks for 'the nice man' I think maybe all that time he created someone that was kind" I look to Xander, a small sad smile on his face.

"Trey didn't think he would remember him." My voice quite, Trey never deemed his actions worthy of remembering. "It was your Beta?" I nod "Christopher will have to see him before he leaves. With your permission of course."

"Of course. Can I see if Adelaide's awake?" my wolf is starting to pester to see her. Xander nods and we work our way through the castle back to the 'Family wing'.

Adelaide is still on her brother's lap, he looks past me towards Xander. "She won't let me put her down... I think she's finally broken" his despair evident in his voice. I turn to Xander

"Can I try?" OK, slightly selfish intentions, his brother shouldn't be holding her, I should. He gives a small nod. "I don't think that's a good idea" Prince Marc tightens his hold around Adelaide. "Marc... let him try" Prince Marc's jaw tightens but he nods stiffly allowing me to approach.

I scoop her up into my arms, she instantly snuggles into my chest a small sigh escaping her perfect lips. I'm warm, I'm full. That little jigsaw piece I've always been missing slots right into place. I sit on the bed with her and slip her under her covers, laying her down. I draw away and she instantly begins to whimper. I frown. Shrug. And slide into bed next to her, wrapping my arms around her pulling her into my chest. She relaxes into me and all I can hear is her deep slow breathing. "Well that seemed to work" I whisper slightly embarrassed up to Xander. He chuckles pulling his son from the room.

If you enjoy don't forget to vote!