❥ Chapter Nine: John Matthews

Start from the beginning

"Prim." I called. She turned to me and faked a smile.

"Hmmm?"

I took a deep breath before turning the iPad off. I put my smartphone on the pocket of my cardigan and crossed my arms slowly, careful not to touch my wound.

"Do you like Matt?" I asked. Prim's eyes widened in shock. She bit her fingernails and stare at me nervously.

"Primrose." I called her full name this time.

"Huh?" She asked a little bit puzzled.

"Do you have feelings for Matt?" I asked again. She stopped biting her nails and didn't say anything in a minute.

I won't force her if she won't admit it but I just want to know straight from her if she likes Matt. Because if she said yes then I don't know what to do anymore. Lauren and Prim are dear to me. They're both my friends and I don't want them to hate each other.

"I always argue with Matt so he could give me some attention because I desperately needed it. I need him Roni. Even now. I love him." She whispered. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths.

"And you didn't tell me?" I asked. I felt offended. We're bestfriends! And she kept a secret from me. Not that I would judge her.

"You were so supportive with Lauren and Matt's love team back then so how am I suppose to tell you about my feelings?" She screamed, tears raining down on her beautiful face.

"We could've fix things out if you told us in the first place." I calmly said. I don't want to get emotional in this situation.

"It doesn't matter anymore." She quietly said afterwards. She wiped her face with the back of her hand.

"It does matter, Prim. We have to tell them about this. Especially Matt!" She fake a laugh and bitterly smile at me with tear stained eyes.

"And destroy our friendship?" She sarcastically said.

"I think lying to our friends felt like betraying them."

"You betrayed us too, Roni. Don't think you're clean and stop being so righteous, you're not a saint."

I narrowed my eyes at her. I felt offended again and she just said it like it's nothing. I wanted to slap her but I know she's in pain so I force myself not to.

Our walkie-talkie screeched even before I can fire back at Prim so I dropped the subject down. We'll talk about this some other time.

"Roni?" Art called. I saw on my peripheral vision that Prim took out his walkie-talkie too.

"I'm here." I answered.

"We can't find them. But we saw Lauren's bag pack just outside the cave you were in."

My heartbeat doubled and the familiar shiver made me fell on the ground. My legs are jelly and I felt all my strength gone away.

They can't be inside that cave! And why did they chose that place? Damn. No. Nothing bad happened to the two. Nothing. I just have to make sure they're okay.

I glanced at Prim who's staring at me, waiting for my orders and the horrified look on her face tells me she isn't ready to more deaths. Nothing is going to die again. I promised her that. Not on my watch.

"Stay put. I'm coming." I whispered. I automatically heard Jack's protests but nothing can stop me now.

I carefully stood up and turned my iPad on again. I have to make sure if the creatures are unmoving. Plus the chopper is late and if we want to make it, we have to rescue Lauren and Matt immediately.