❥ Chapter One: The Full Moon

I decided to head home to my condo unit without bidding goodbye to the whole department. I had a rather rough shift for a holiday. While my work mates had a blast this labor day, I'm stuck in the facility doing my work. Especially that the lab results I've been waiting these past weeks finally came to mail this morning. Shockingly, the tests that I had run through the subjects have different conclusions. My head was aching throughout the day that reading the paper made it worse so I call it a day. I'll study about the results later.

"Don't forget about the gathering tomorrow afternoon."

Prim's voice echoed inside the car as she demanded for that. I've been so busy with work that I neglected them but since she knew about my day off, I can't say no.

"Anyways, Roni. How's your research? Arturo told me you'll probably get another plaque for this remarkable job." She muttered enthusiastically. The news spread quickly more than what I expected. I was hoping I'd be the one to tell them personally but who am I kidding. They favor Arturo than that. I sighed.

"It's still tentative. The research's still going and I haven't got to half of it. Plus the company is having a rough time, they're making me work twenty-four hours which I declined. I need rest in order to progress so tell Arturo don't jinx this."

Prim laughed on the other line and I can't help but laugh too.

"How's your work by the way?" I asked in return after. "Same old days. I'm still waiting for my leave approval and besides, how busy can an archaeologist be? Compare to you Miss Big Shot, I am not that productive at work."

I snorted a little. They do compare their jobs to mine every time we called each other. We're almost at one branch actually, science. Prim is an archaeologist working at the famous museum in the city. Arturo is a Professor at Stanford University (my alma matter) as the Physics' major teacher. Lauren is a marine biologist working at the biggest ocean park in the country and her boyfriend Matt is an anthropologist at a huge facility together with Jack who's the head linguist of the place. This circle of friend may have different job descriptions but we all have the same branch, again it's science. But they do think my work is tougher and has a higher salary which is partly true.

"Alright then, I shouldn't keep you here. I know you've been busy so rest well tonight. Don't worry, you'll do good with your research."

I smiled even though she can't see me. Primrose is like a sister to me. We've been friends since high school and nothing changed between us. Though she got married last year and has a six months old baby girl. Me, on the other hand is living alone on the condo unit I bought using the salary that I earned and kept.

"Anyways Prim, I'm still on the road and I don't want to hear baby Aya cry so I'll call you tomorrow morning instead. Bye." I was about to press the end button when Prim left meaningful words for me. I was dumbfounded. I never thought she'll say that. I mean, of course she knows that part of me but it's a secret that I am going to share tomorrow. How did she know? Don't tell me it's Arturo again?

"Good night, Roni. Drive safely, alright? See you." She added before cutting the line. I just sighed and focused on my driving.

It's almost midnight and I'm half an hour away from home. I grabbed the coffee I ordered at the shop near the company before leaving awhile ago and drank from it. My eyelids are getting heavier so I also pinched my arm to stay awake. I didn't bothered to play some music 'cause that'll make me sleepy even more. Tss. I'll file for a morning shift after my two-day rest day immediately.

The streets are empty and some of the lamps are flickering when I turned to the right. I can't clearly see since my eyes are giving up but the bright shine of the moon made the road clear to me. Full moon, huh. Some of the trees are swaying and some of the dry leaves danced on the ground. Unusual night for August. The wind seems cold and colder from this season. Climate change maybe.