"Is that your way of saying that I'm forgiven?" He smiled reluctantly.

"Obviously." I returned his smile and gave him a brotherly hug.

Wala naman talaga akong balak na patagalin pa ang away naming magkaibigan. I'm no longer the Vren who holds a grudge like his life depended on it. Mostly I just felt happy and relieved that we could already leave this debacle behind us.

"Thanks, bro." Ervic patted me on the back. "Akala ko, kicked out na ako sa Grey Light."

"Of course not. Grey Light won't be complete without Ervic Buenviejo."

"Ehem!" Mira, who was until then just watching us with a smile, had obviously exhausted her patience. "Congratulations for being friends again and everything, pero hindi pa ba tayo papasok sa loob, Mr. Montevilla and Mr. Buenviejo? Kanina pa ako nilalamok dito!"

"Sorry, Ms. Custodio," I apologized to her with a grin.

"'Di ba dapat, Ms. dela Merced?" Ervic quipped. "I just heard that you and Bella are actually half-sisters."

"Whatever," Mira replied, causing me and my friend to laugh. "Tara na sa loob!"

****

We found Tito Arkin and Tita Ivana waiting for us in the living room. Mira and I already told them about Ervic being Zac's real father, as with our plan to introduce him to their grandson. While the dela Merceds were no longer surprised by his presence, it didn't prevent the man of the house to give Ervic a stern look. Hindi na rin nakapagtataka na bumalik ang nerbiyos sa mukha ng kaibigan ko.

"Zac is in his room. So, Mr. Buenviejo," Tito Arkin began, and even I, who did nothing wrong to expect a scolding, got anxious because of his tone. "We were told that you are our grandson's real father."

"Yes, sir," Ervic replied in such a shaky voice, Mira and I had to share a look while suppressing our laughter. "I'm sorry. Hindi ko po sinasadya ang mga nangyari. I didn't mean to cause all this confusion. Wala naman po akong kaalam-alam na may anak pala kami ni Bella..."

"Cut it out, hijo. Truth be told, I'm just glad that everything has been sorted out. Zac deserves to know his true identity, after all." Tito Arkin's expression had softened by a fraction.

"Are you ready to meet Zac, hijo?" Tita Ivana, on the other hand, asked Ervic. As usual, there was a kind smile on her face.

"Yes, ma'am." My friend let out a little sigh of relief. "Excited na po akong makita ang anak ko."

****

We entered Zac's room to find him busy with the new puzzle I bought him. I was delegated with the task of breaking the news to him, which only seemed right.

"Daddy! Look, I'm nearly finished. Remember, you told me that I'll have a reward when I finish this puzzle?" His face lit up in adoration when he saw me. I faked a smile, but I actually felt a twinge of pain at his reaction.

Zac still thinks of me as his dad...

For a moment, I thought about backing out — I could just let him believe that he's my child. And I was more than willing to be his father. Sa maikling panahon na nakasama ko ang anak ni Bella, natutunan ko na siyang mahalin, at hindi problema sa akin na gampanan ang pagiging ama sa kanya.

But I couldn't do that to Ervic. I couldn't deny him the right to be Zac's father. Pagbali-baliktarin man ang lahat ay hindi maipagkakailang isang Buenviejo ang bata.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and ruffled Zac's hair. "Nice one, buddy. Tell me, what do you want as your reward? A play day with me and Tita Mommy, perhaps?"

"That would be a nice reward, Daddy." He huddled closer to me, and I pulled him in for a hug. Doing so, I caught a glimpse of both Mira and Tita Ivana tearing up.

"Zac?"

"Yes, Daddy?"

"I'd like to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"I love you, kiddo." I kissed the top of his head. "Always remember that."

"Yes, Daddy. I love you, too."

"Zac?"

"Hmm? Another something, Daddy?"

I chuckled. "Yes, buddy. Another something. I'd like you to meet someone."

"Really? Who?" Zac pulled away from our hug and peered at the doorway. Noon lang napansin ng bata na may iba pa kaming mga kasama. I motioned for Ervic to approach us, and as he did so, I heard Zac say, "Who is he, Daddy? Is he a friend of yours?"

"Zac, this is Ervic. He's my friend... and your real daddy."

"My real daddy?" Zac echoed, perplexed. "But I thought you were my real daddy!"

"That's what we thought too, buddy, until we learned the truth."

There was an awkward silence as Zac and Ervic stared at each other. Hanggang sa wakas ay nagkalakas na rin ng loob na magsalita ang kaibigan ko. "H-hi, Zac."

I rolled my eyes, resisting the urge to smack Ervic on the face for looking so stupid in front of his son. Mabuti na lang at lumapit sa amin si Mira para isalba ang sitwasyon.

"Zac, baby, this is your Daddy Ervic. Remember the locket your Mommy gave you?" My girlfriend held the gold necklace in front of her nephew, then dismantled it to show him the note on the back of his tiny photo. "Look, this is her handwriting. Zachary Dann dela Merced Buenviejo — that's your full name. You already know that dela Merced is Mommy Bella's surname. 'Yong Buenviejo naman ay ang apelyido ni Daddy Ervic."

"Is that so, Tita Mommy? But how about Daddy Vren?"

"I'm still your daddy — your Tito Daddy," I told Zac with a smile. "But if someone asks who your father is, you should tell them that it's Daddy Ervic. Someday, buddy, when you're old enough to understand, we will tell you the whole story — about me, your Mommy Bella, your Daddy Ervic... and of course, there's Tita Mommy's side of the story, too."

"So, does that mean I have two moms and two dads? That's good, isn't it?"

All the adults smiled at Zac's innocence.

"Yes, hijo. And a lot of grandmas and grandpas, too." Si Tito Arkin naman ang nagsalita. "There's me and your Grandma Ivana, and then there's your Daddy Ervic's mom and dad..."

"And you'll be meeting them soon," Ervic assured his son. "They'll be delighted to learn about you."

"And don't forget Tita Mommy's mom and dad, and Tito Daddy's parents, too. You will meet all of them in no time. You see, hijo, there are a lot of people who love you," Tita Ivana finished before cuddling Zac.

"I think that makes me lucky," he said, grinning adorably. The rest of us shared looks of relief — all glad that the baby of the family took the news in stride.

"Indeed, buddy." I pinched his cheek. "Now, would you like to work on the rest of this puzzle with me and Daddy Ervic?"