91

Everything moved in slow motion as the water in the pool rippled as if something heavy had just fallen into it. In my head I knew what was happening but I couldn't accept it.

It had to be a sick joke.

"NO!!!" I screamed as Colby sprinted to the pool, throwing his body into the water with no hesitation.

I broke out of my haze and ran after him, screaming in pain as he lifted her lifeless body out of the water, "MOVE." Meghan yelled, pushing through everyone as Colby tried to shake her awake, "come on Mia, wake up!" He screamed as he laid her down on the grass.

I ran towards them, sobbing hysterically as Meghan knelt down and started giving her CPR, "Mia baby please come back!" I sobbed as Colby hugged me tightly.

We watched in horror as Meghan continued trying to revive her. "I can't do this." I whispered and shoved my face into Colby's wet chest. I could feel Colby's body jerking with sobs as we waited in agony.

Every second felt like ten years, until we heard her choking out the water in her lungs as she screamed.

It was the most beautiful sound in the world.

"Oh my god." I whispered and lunged towards her, pulling her into my arms as she screamed and cried, "don't scare me like that, please don't scare mommy like that ever again." I sobbed as Colby wrapped his arms around both of us.

We held eachother tightly as our friends watched horror. "She's okay..she's okay." Colby kept whispering as Mia calmed down. She was recovering much better than I was about the situation, that's for sure.

"Mama." She said quietly and looked up at me with her big beautiful blue eyes.

I was so grateful for those eyes.

"Yes, baby. You're okay. You scared mommy and daddy really really bad and you're not leaving my sight ever again." I whispered and tried to catch my breath as tears poured down my cheeks still. "Mine either." Colby whispered and brushed her wet curls from her face.

I finally looked up at everyone to see they all had the same horrified expression on their faces, except for Meghan. Her face was blank, as she watched us carefully, "thank you Meghan." I whispered as she nodded, "you're welcome." She said and gave us a small reassuring smile that everything was okay.

"Can we borrow someone's bedroom for a minute...we have to get her cleaned up." I whispered as Colby took Mia from me. "Of course, you know where ours is." Kat said with a small smile, trying to shake the horror that was still hanging in the air.

I nodded and stood up as Colby wrapped his arm around my waist, holding me close, "thank you." I whispered to Kat then went upstairs and to their room.

As soon as I closed the door I broke down again. "Mama." Mia said quietly as I slammed my head into the door, sobbing into my hands, "hey! She's fine Cora, she's right here. She's okay. I know it was scary..it honestly might have been one of the scariest moments of my life but she's okay." Colby whispered and pulled me into him by my waist.

"No!" I yelled and pushed off of him, "it's all my fault." I said and sobbed into my hands as I paced the room. "Don't do this to yourself, Cora. It was an accident." Colby said as Mia wimpered and reached for me,

"I shouldn't have let her out of my sight. Why wasn't I just holding her? Why did I have to set her down? I could have brought her to you. I could have literally handed her off to anyone. I'm so stupid." I said and punched the wall out of frustration.

"Cora, baby please calm down." Colby whispered and came up, "I can't! Why aren't you mad at me!? You should be mad I almost killed out daughter! Stop being so understanding and just yell at me!" I screamed causing Mia to frown and reach for me again. I think she could sense how scared and upset I still was.