59

Once Sam and Jake came back with the food we gathered around the fire pit that was outside to eat since the sun had already set.

Boy scout Colby made an appearance as he built a fire for us. "You're doing great, babe." I said and took a bite of my chicken teriyaki. "I know you're jealous of my skills." He said and smirked at me as I cradled Mia in her towel. She sleepily opened her mouth so I could give her some sticky rice,

"are you sleepy, little one?" I asked and smoothed her slightly wet hair down. "Mama." She mumbled as I stood up. "I'm gonna take her in for a bath, then to put her to bed." I said and stood up as Colby looked up at me cautiously, "okay." He said after a second then looked back down at the fire.

"I'll be back in like...I'll say 20 minutes." I said then went into the house. "Sleepy." Mia said as she rubbed her eye with her fist, "I know honey, we have to get you a bath though." I said and kissed her head as I carried her up the stairs.

When I got into the bathroom she was really falling asleep so I had to bounce her to keep her awake, "just a few more minutes baby, stay awake for mommy." I said as the tub filled up with water.

"It's like..swimming but we get to wash your pretty curls." I said then put her in the tub, holding her up as she leaned into my hand.

"Need some help?" Sam asked causing me to flinch and jerk away from the door, "Jesus! Sam you scared me!" I breathed out, clutching my chest as I tried to catch my breath, "sorry! I didn't mean to." He said and came up to me, "shit, can you actually go into the bedroom and grab her shampoo, I didn't even think to grab it." I said as he nodded then went to get it for me.

I let out a sigh as Mia looked up at me sleepily, "I know honey, I'm almost done." I whispered as Sam came jogging back in. "Here ya go." He said and handed me the bottle of shampoo.

We sat in silence for a minute as I washed Mia's hair, "Colby sent you in here, didn't he?" I asked after a few more minutes of silence, "I'm not going to confirm or deny that." Sam said with a laugh and held his hands up in defense as I pulled Mia out of the tub to dry her off.

"I know he did, it's okay Sam. I deserve it." I said with a sight and gently dried Mia's hair a little bit, "no, you really don't. He's just worried about you, Cor." He said as I nodded slowly, bringing Mia into the bedroom so I could get her pajamas on. "Yeah, I know..I really don't blame him. I'm alright though, for the record." I said and gave him a reassuring smile.

"I'm glad you are...like...really glad." He said with a sheepish smile as I wrapped Mia up in a blanket and laid her down in the crib. "Goodnight sweet girl." I whispered and kissed her head before turning to the closet to grab a sweatshirt and some sweatpants.

"Hey Cora...were you really gonna do it?" Sam asked quietly after a minute of silence causing me to sigh, biting my lip against the tears that were trying to form. "Yes." I whispered as he came over and wrapped his arms around me. 

I cried into his shoulder for a minute as he rubbed my back, "I'm so glad you didn't." He whispered as I sniffled, trying to get my composure,

"I'm so sorry for putting you guys through that..I was so selfish." I whispered as I choked on my tears, "no Cor, stop telling yourself that." He said and rubbed my back soothingly until I was eventually able to compose myself.

"We should go back out there before Colby comes in here, hunting us down." I said with a watery laugh as I wiped my eyes. "Yeah, it's been more than 20 minutes." He said with a laugh and stepped away so I could put my sweatshirt and sweatpants on.

I grabbed the baby monitor then looked at Sam, "alright, let's go." I said and nodded once as he led the way back to the fire pit.

When we got out there I took a seat next to Colby as he grinned at me, "are you proud of my fire?" He asked and gestured to the steady flame that was blazing in the fire pit, "So proud." I said with a small smile as I rested my head on his shoulder.