Chapter 40

Armaan's POV

I glance at Zara who has her head low as soon as she settles on the seat. Her eyes are fixed on her lap where her slender fingers are fidgeting with one another. I have never seen her apprehensive like this. Perhaps she is still scared of when I left her alone or because of what happened a while ago. The moment she hugs me, I forget all the hustle of this world. The moment, her soft lips quiver under my touch leaves me to crave for them more. The moment I see her sparkling eyes, I yearn that they shall only dream about me. The way her whole body reacts when I touch her, it makes me disobey myself; my commitments, my promises, and my senses.

But then within an instant of time, everything comes back; the significant one being her feelings which I shall nevertheless end up tormenting.

I shouldn't have done this. I should control myself. And what my heart was urging me to do at that time is absurd and ridiculous. It's even unimaginable for me to do anything which can hurt her and by letting my heart overtake my brain can do the exact thing. She deserves happiness which I won't be able to give her. Moreover, I don't want to renounce her trust in mine.

"Why you were crying?" I twist the gear to the left as I plop the car on the straight road.

She lifts her head in an abrupt way. Her eyes are still gleaming due to the wetness of tears.

"Because I thought you left me alone as you said earlier," she replies. I can discern the strangeness in her daze voice.

"I was just kidding. Why would I leave you after coming all the way-" I stop when I realize what I have said. She stares at me with an uncertain look.

"I mean if I have to leave you, I would have done it a lot earlier," I explain as I pass her a smile.

"Yes, you are perhaps right, " she mumbles still not comprehending anything.

I smile seeing her rubbing the back of her neck in a skeptical state. She is so pure and innocent. I can't believe that because of my father, I have acted terribly to her.

"Why did you think I will leave you?" I don't know what gets into me when I ask her this.

"Because-" she stops and looks at me like she isn't certain of what to say.

"Because I am not sure of your actions. You sometimes are too dubious to believe."

I glance at her with shock in my eyes. It's such a pity that she doesn't trust me. She still has compunctions with me.

"What I mean to say is that you always do what you say and-"

Despite not liking what she has said, I chuckle at the way she wavers her hand to explain the things. She first looks at me with panic, seeing me smiling then a timid smile appears on her lips as she stuffs the free strands of her hair behind her ear in a hurry.

It's strange that being with her always makes me enjoy the moment. It's like I don't have to mask myself into anyone when she is around me. I live my life as myself, not the one which other people want. Probably because she is so much like me. She makes me admire the true grace of life as me.

Zainab's POV

"Still no sugar?" I put the tray on the table and lift the sugar pot as I look at him for an answer.

He has thrown his face in both of his hands and his eyelids are partially closing his swollen eyes. Its been a week he is drinking sugarless coffee and I am sure there is something wrong as he always gives up on sweets when something bothers him. According to him, the extra sweetness can make people trick you with ease. Shaiq and his philosophies.