Chapter 16

Baine

My eyes were wide, and that little twitch in my lip was the only sign of my anger. I took a stride forward, then fell one back. The thick forearm locking me in place.

The severity of the situation finally came crashing down, and I was pissed. I dug my nails harshly into Osiris's thick skin trying to untangle myself from him. I've never felt so much rage before, ever in my long existence.

Osiris turned me toward him with struggle. He Pushed me in his chest and dropped me to the ground to better control my rage. He slammed me to the ground harshly, sitting on my back, and controlling my flailing arms.

"Get off me!" I slurred through unsheathed teeth.

He grasped the back of my neck pushing his thumb deeply into my skin. I froze up and exhaled as unwanted calmness entered my system. I laid my head in the grass. Each breath I took was easier until I was lying there without any resistance.

"Get off me," I now muttered pushing at his shoulder.

Osiris rolled off me while still keeping his hand on the back of my neck.

"How the fuck did this happen?" I whispered to myself.

"I can tell you," A sing-song voice answered back.

Before I could comprehend the situation, I was wrapped up in large arms, and all I saw was darkness.

"Cool it, I wouldn't even try coming near you," that sing-song voice spoke again.

Osiris growled at him and pulled me deeper into his chest ignoring my flailing arms.

"It was those damn hunters I couldn't do anything about, but I know you can." I could almost hear the smile in his voice.

"Leave, before you become one of them," Osiris growled.

"Alright, alright. Just a word of warning though. Keep an eye on that precious mate of yours. I don't know what would happen if he just disappeared suddenly."

Osiris all but roared, making my ears ring, then it was silent and he let me free of his arms.

"Who was that?" I demanded.

"A fey. Come we are leaving," he commanded.

He grasped my forearm tightly, pulling me away from the gruesome image. Like I could forget it. Two rows of beheaded vampires. Their arms were ripped off and the skin was burnt from the sun. Just thinking about it made my anger spark like a wildfire.

He pulled me through the woods. The brief moment we shared was all but forgotten.

Once we were well away he stopped, craned his neck, and beautiful golden wings sprouted forth from his back.

"I'm done, don't touch me."

His eyes flared, and he grasped my forearms tightly bringing my face severely close to his.

"You aren't done until I say you're done." He held me tight and took for the sky. With my little ray of defiance diminishing, I noticed his temperament getting more difficult to handle the closer we got to the day of the full moon.

We flew to his castle where his little dragons greeted us by tackling me out of Osiris's hold. They started to lick me and purr when I didn't push them away.

Osiris gave out a low chuckle, running his hand through his hair and staring down at me. "They are always so excited to see you." He bent down and placed a kiss on my forehead. "I must go report what we saw. You are free to roam the property, but none beyond that." I watched him walk away in his full glory. Arms by his side and head held high.

I pushed my hands behind my head and looked up at the sky. It was still dark and the stars were glittery in the sky. I pet the little guys vying for my attention. It was finally time to explore. I stood up and started exploring the property, avoiding the other people, and following the cobblestone trail.

My feet were bare. The coolness felt good on my heels. I needed to cool off anyways. I didn't mind the horde of dragons following me anymore. Their company provided comfort, and I felt safe around them.

I walked up the bridge and looked out at the river. Slow and steady. Smooth and flowing. I looked around for anyone. The farthest people were out of normal eyesight. I chucked my clothes off, throwing them carelessly on the floor. I stood up naked on the ledge.

I crossed my hands then jumped, diving into the cold water. The chill startled me for a moment and I popped up gasping harshly. The metal on my nipples stung a bit from the coldness of the water.

I sighed, alone finally.

I pushed my hair out of my eyes and floated around. I had many things on my mind. Those killings, the ceremony, my old sire.

I was scared and most of all worried. My mind and body are telling me to trust Osiris, but I just don't know anymore.

I had to make up my mind quickly though. The ceremony is tomorrow.

I sighed again. I hope my conscience is leading me on the right path.