Chapter 12

Baine

With an annoyed huff, I followed a few steps behind Osiris's gliding ones. He held his body up high and confidence seemed to ooze of his form. He was a striking sight to see. Hair billowing in the wind as the soft glow of the house light brightened his body.

Oddly enough his presence calmed me and that's something that I would never dare to admit. I felt safe following his shadow. I knew he knew this. Osiris was way too smart not to understand why I would choose to walk behind him instead of beside him. That made me respect him in a way. How he wouldn't taunt me for my weakness and silently accepted my need to be behind him and protected.

Normally, I would've tried to keep the little dominance act I had left as much as I could, but today the worry for what was about to come knocked down my defenses. I was afraid. I tried my hardest to keep this fear in, but the build-up just caused me to become sick to my stomach. My palms and face would sweat and my breathing would become more erratic. Normally the difficult task of feeling was even harder when I couldn't keep the blood down. My mind was in turmoil, so my body chose for me. Be protected.

I looked up when the glow on the gravel got lighter. Peeking over Osiris's shoulder, I saw the house where I was trained as a vampire. Still beautiful and glorious as ever. Tall, dark pillars held up the roof that lumbered over the stained glass grand entrance door. Blackout windows littered the vast expense of the dark house and surprisingly no guards. Aegeus must have known we were coming.

We walked up the glossy steps leading to the house. I noticed when Osiris slowed his long footsteps so that we now stood together in front of the door. The unwanted nervousness feeling wormed it's way back in my gut.

I broke the silence, "aren't you going to knock?"

"I was waiting for you to get those emotions under control." He tilted his head down to diminish the little height he had on me. His calculating eyes struck me in place, as I gazed back up at him with equal interest.

"There is no need to worry, no harm will come to you when I am here." I couldn't help but think, what happens when you're not?

Just as Osiris's thick knuckles were about to hit the glass door, it was flung open in a hurry.

"Took you guys long enough. I almost thought you were making out by how long you stood there," Kallex announced with a cocky hand placed on his hip. He let out a low whistle as he gazed at Osiris up and down. "Damn, you sure know how to pick em Baine."

My face turned red in anger. I felt an arm wrap around my waist, then tug me close to a rumbling body. Osiris's face was void of any emotion as he stared Kallex down. "Lead the way to your sire," he all but spat out at him.

Kallex raised his hands up in surrender, "Alright cool it, macho man. Follow me." Kallex opened the door wide enough so that Osiris and I could both step through at the same time.

My eyes closed when a comforting smell reached my nostrils. Aegeus. I could recognize that scent anywhere. It was due to the special bond that I shared with him, a bond only formed between master and creation.

I felt the arm around my waist ease just for thick fingers to curl themselves around the back of my neck. The unique scent of Osiris wafted around me, reminding me of why we were here in the first place.

He guided me by my neck down the familiar hallways, towards Aegeus's office. It was a dominant gesture, and my face was scrunched up in an angry scowl as we followed Kallex.

Just as the door to Aegeus's office opened, I jerked my neck forward out of his hold. I scurried through the entrance quickly, ignoring Osiris's angry snarl somewhere behind me.