Chapter 12

Andrew

"Hey, Andrew?" my father's voice echos from down the hall. I reply, "Yes, dad?" By the time I do, he is already in my doorway. I sit up from my bed, waiting for him to talk. Every time he comes to my room like this, he always has something important to tell me.

"So, I just got a phone call from Harold. He wanted you to go over to the house. He has something to ask you." I quickly ask, "Is everything ok?" My dad shakes his head, "No, son, I do not know. All Harold told me was that he wants you over there as soon as possible before Mia gets home." My dad says as he leans against the door.

I start to get worried, and I hurriedly asked, "Is Mia, ok?" I already knew he didn't know the answer, but I just felt like I had to ask. Before he could answer me, I said, "No, I know you don't know. I wasn't thinking right. I am on my way now." I got up from the bed, and I quickly found my shoes. I ran past my dad, and I burst out the front door. I past my mom, but to be honest, she hardly notices me anyway. We have this understanding where I live in the house, but I stay out of her way.

I dart down the street, rushing past house after house. Thankfully Mia only lives a few blocks away, but I would run any distance for her. I think to myself, "She has been through so much, I hate to see her in pain."

I get to the house, and I run all the way up to the door. Before I could even knock, Harold opens the door, smiling at me. He says, "Get inside, son, let's not do this out here." I follow him inside, to find Veronica sitting on the couch waiting for me. I sit on the couch across from them, and Harold sits next to Veronica. I quickly say, "First off, Mr. Brooks," I look to Veronica, realizing I don't know her last name and say, "Veronica, Congratulations on the baby and the engagement." They both smile and, in unison, say, "Thank you!"

Harold looks at Veronica and then to me. He takes a deep breath and says, "We are worried about Mia." I look intensely at him as he continues, "Veronica and I think that she has been using alcohol to cope with everything lately. From her mother leaving to everything going on with us-" I interrupt, "She isn't ok with everything going on between you two?"

Veronica closes her eyes and softly says, "No, she won't even talk to me, and she barely talks to Harold. After what happened with Victor, I got her to speak with us a few times, but she just yells and runs to her room each time." I look from Veronica to Mr. Brooks, as he says, "You and my daughter have always been close, and to be honest, I have always thought of you as a son. What I am asking you is that you talk to her and get her to realize we love her."

I ask, "So, are you asking me to set up an intervention for her?" Harold goes quiet for a moment and says, "Find out if she is, in fact, drinking, and we will go from there. I know she has been with Lake a lot lately, so try there."

I pull out my phone and say, "I can call her right now-" Harold put up his hand and said, "No, Find her when she is away from my daughter and talk to her then." I nod my head and say, "Of course."

-----

Lake

Creekwood

"Ugh, I don't want to be here!" I sighed as I walked through the doors of Creekwood. I scan the hallway immediately, looking for any of my friends. I see Mia, and I run towards her and say, "Oh my god! You look beautiful this morning! If I weren't straight, I would date you." Mia laughs and says, "You say that a lot, it's starting to make me question things about you."

I smile and twirl my hair while saying, "You are only saying that because-" I freeze once I see Victor walking down the hall, holding Benji's hand. I try to block Mia from seeing it, but she does. Victor waves once he sees us, and I notice Mia started to get upset. Once they got out of eyesight, I ask, "Um, are you ok?"