XXXIX

An incessant ringing pulled me out of my deep sleep, disorientating the hell out of me. Everything in the room was still black, so I was beyond confused about where the ringing was coming from and why it was ringing in the middle of the night. Beneath me, Xavier finally stirred and woke up as well.

"Is that my phone ringing?" Xavier mumbled, his voice husky with sleep.

"I think so?" I groaned, burying my head back into his chest.

"I need to pick it up, then." He sighed, wiggling underneath me as he reached for his phone on the bedside table.

I mumbled something incoherent, confusing even myself with my groggy mumbled replies. I had been sleeping so well lately that I finally had some kind of routine, so I hated being woken up in the middle of the night. Whatever it was, it better be important.

"Hello?" Xavier finally figured out how to answer the phone in his sleepy state, holding it to his ear lazily.

I didn't bother straining to hear whatever replies came to Xavier's greeting, but I didn't have to wait long. Xavier was jumping out of bed in an instant, scrambling to pull jogging bottoms on while I went crashing to the floor. The duvet landed on my head and I had the wind knocked out of me, shocked by my sudden flying through the air.

"Shit, I'm so sorry!" Xavier cried, pulling the duvet off my head so that I could see.

"What happened?" I blinked, looking around in sleepy confusion.

"Gracie's gone into labour." Xavier rushed out, "Get dressed, we've gotta go."

"Now?" I frowned, still confused.

"Yes, now. The baby's coming." Xavier was back to getting dressed, but he threw a hoodie of his in my direction to get me started.

"Bump?" My frown deepened, letting the hoodie hit me in the face as my reaction time was slowed.

"Yes, Bump. Bump's coming." He nodded frantically, tucking his phone in his pocket.

"Shit." I gasped, springing to my feet and pulling the hoodie on.

Together we rushed out of the front door and into the car, Xavier racing all of the way to the pack doctors. My heart was pounding in my chest, but I was pretty excited to finally meet Gracie and Noah's child; I wonder what they'll be like? Overzealous and oblivious like Noah or cautious and warm like Gracie?

We pulled up to the doctor's in no time at all, thanks to Xavier's speedy driving, and jumped out of the car. Of course, the place was dead since it was the middle of the night, so we could hear exactly where all of the commotion was coming from. We rushed towards it and easily found the room where everything was going down.

I had expected chaos, but Gracie was just laying there breathing steadily on her back. All of the clattering noises and frantic yelling was coming from Noah, who was the exact opposite of chill right now. He was freaking out while talking to the doctor, who was just trying to check how dilated Gracie was.

"Noah, calm down." Xavier sighed, guiding Noah away by his shoulders from the busy doctor.

"How you feeling, Gracie?" I smiled, sitting by her beside.

"Not fantastic, but the contractions are still super spaced out, so not bad just yet." Gracie grimaced, resting her hands on her bump.

"Noah made it sound as if you were already pushing Bump out on the phone." Xavier shook his head, "I kicked Cam out of bed I was so surprised."

"The last bruises had just disappeared and now I've got a new one." I sulked playfully.

"Those bruises took forever to fade." Gracie tutted, "I'm glad you're okay, now."