"Fantastic, I love my skin being seared" I mock grimly, smirking at Jace's chuckle. I turn to the side, slightly lowering the sleeve of my top, exposing my arm before nodding poorly at him to do it. As the cold metal touches my arm, it conflicts with the searing heat, and I wince slightly, not in agonising pain but still feeling the burn.

Though, in comparison to my heart, it feels like a tickle.

"Thanks" I say, pulling the sleeve back up and grabbing my weapon and we all turn with our things, ready to leave, knowing we had little time left.

"Where do you think you're going?" The sound has me jumping in surprise, along with Jace and Izzy, but once we see the curious expression of Hodge we all relax slightly. " It's a very dangerous time, and no one is supposed to leave the premises without express orders."

"Hodge, we were just about to–" Izzy starts, stammering.

" Lie to me?" He asks knowingly with a raised brow.

"No" Izzy and Jace say in unison.

"Yes" I say, shrugging my shoulders moments later at the bewildered expression on their faces.

Honesty is the best policy.

"Look, Clary needs us, Hodge. The Clave is looking for her. She could be in serious danger." Jace says, a rather desperate and pleading expression on his face, one that I don't think I've ever seen. My heart warms at seeing how much Jace cares for Clary, and I feel a sort of comfort at knowing she's well looked after.

"Well, in that case, I'd make a timely exit before anyone of importance notices you're gone." Hodge says, lifting his cup to his lips and taking a sip, his body shifting to the side to allow us through.

"We won't forget this" Jace says, a gracious smile lining his face, before we all leave.

***

"Guys" Clary calls, making us all rapidly turn in her direction, I smile as I watch her rush down the steps and I step back and allow Jace to wrap his arms around her, a look of reprieve on his face "Hey, thank god you're ok" he mutters.

As she pulls away she quickly rushes over to me, a beam on her face and I embrace her, holding back the tears I desperately wanted to shed. Pulling back I smile before my eyes fleet to Simon, who I had already seen, tears forming in my eyes from joy that he was ok.

All I cared about was the people I loved being ok.

"Nice hideout" I tease to Clary, and she laughs, shaking her head.

"Yeah, well it wasn't like the Clave were going to look for me here" She smirks, making me nod my head in agreement.

"Can we please focus on the matter at hand? Unless no one here cares that the Clave is planning on murdering Meliorn." Izzy hisses, her eyes clouded over and arms crossed painfully tight, making me frown, feeling pity.

"What?" Both Simon and Clary exclaim, a look of shock and perplexion written on their faces.

"They think Meliorn has more information on Valentine and the attack than he's saying," I say grimly, my eyes taking in their baffled faces, "They're taking him to the Silent Brothers."

"We have to stop them!" Clary exclaims, sadness overcoming her, which made sense, we didn't have to be best friends with Meliorn to be disgusted by an injustice.

"That's the plan, Clary. Rescue and recovery." Jace states simply, "We get him from the guards, in and out, no one gets hurt."

"You want us to go up against the Silent Brothers, and an elite Shadowhunter guard unit?" Clary asks cautiously, her words conveying out loud how stupid the plan really was.

"Without any backup?" Luke asks, though his expression says he already knows the answer to that question.

"Pretty much sums it up, yeah." I say, laughing humourlessly.

"Is Alec coming?" Clary asks, and immediately the air shift at the mention of his name, a sharp pain striking in my chest. Both Jace and Izzy look at me sadly, and I look down, gnawing on my lip.

"What?" Simon asks, a low nature to his voice.

"Alec's not coming." I start, my voice harsh and expression irritated, "He's siding with his fiancé on this one"

"What!" Clary exclaims, and I sigh watching all their expressions shift from shock to worry, their eyes trained on me. "Cam-" Clary mutters, stepping forwards and touching my arm in comfort. I recoil slightly and step back, ignoring her hurt reaction and instead choosing to act like I couldn't give less of a shit.

Though of course I gave a shit.

"If they're doing this to Seelie's, then no Downworlder is safe." I state, and sensing that the topic was over, everyone followed back to the topic at hand, tentatively and still worried for me, but they knew we had bigger issues.

"But we can't go in alone, not if we don't want to be detected." I say, everyone nodding in agreement.

"My pack will track the unit, create a distraction." Luke suggests, and I smile gratefully at him and he returns one that comforts me, reminding me of how life used to be.

" I would suggest vampires, but I doubt they'll cooperate." Simon sighs.

"As much as I hate to agree with Simon, vamps aren't exactly team players." Jace states, a bitterness to his tone and Simon rolls his eyes, the tension between the two evident.

Though they always have tension.

"Let me talk to Raphael." I state, "I think I can persuade him."

Hello my lovely reader,

I have missed you guys so much.

I know that my uploads have been unsteady at best, but I am currently revising for my mocks and writing my personal statement and filling out UCAS forms and having mental breakdowns every 2-5 minutes, so I've been busy.

But I hope you enjoyed the chapter, it's a bit of a filler, but the next chapter is a lot more exciting (and heart-breaking ).

Make sure you VOTE, COMMENT and SHARE if you liked the chapter.

And I will see you all next update x