Chapter 1: Fortune? Misfortune?

“Every misfortune we meet is the sign

That tells us that fortune awaits in the future”

                                                                          -Sage Oratus

           “Stop!”, then everything stopped except me. My name is Kanos Cry. I am a 16 years old student, and I am currently living in Baguio city, Philippines. I came out to Session road to buy a gift for somebody special to me. This time altering is a skill that I acquired when I was young…

When I was young, my family was really in need of money, since they were in dept to many people. One day, I saw this paper saying that they are hiring people who are urgently in need of money. They said that they will just test some medicines on the applicant for 10 days and the applicant will be getting 10 billion pesos. I immediately applied to it. Fortunately, they accepted me even if my age was only 9. Of course, my family did not know about this. They started putting weird-looking medicines on me for the 10 days. On the 7th day, I started having a severe headache. After finishing the job, they really sent 10 billion pesos to my parents’ account. I was happy, but this headache wouldn’t go away.

20 days later, I suddenly saw that everything around me stopped for a minute, then started moving again. Later on, I found out that I can move freely when the time stops. I wondered if this time stopping can be triggered by my command. “Stop!”, then everything around me stopped. I found out that I could even fly when the time stopped, but there was also a limit like everything else. I could only stop the time for a minute. I still wondered if I could lengthen this short time. As I continued using this power, the minute increased slowly, until the present time, which is 10 minutes.

“Ah! What a beautiful weather! Since I am done buying the gift, I will just go home now.” Kanos said merrily, getting excited to give the gift to the special one. When he was walking towards the jeepney station, he saw his female classmate, Feriel Teris, who was always kind and caring towards him.

“Hey, Kanos! Funny seeing you here! What are you doing?” asked Feriel, walking down the street.

 “Well, I was just roaming around.” said Kanos. “So, are you going home now?”

“Yeah.” said Feriel, looking curiously at Kanos. “Well, let’s go together then, since my home is near yours!” said Feriel. Kanos nodded his head instantly, as if he really wanted to do so.

           After they got into a jeepney, it started going to the destination. Kanos felt so tired, that he was half asleep. Suddenly, Kanos felt something weird. ‘It feels like, something is going to crash.’ ‘Stop!’ he stopped the time to check what’s going on.

When he opened his eyes, he saw that he was no longer inside the jeepney, and no one was nearby. Around him were 9 vortexes, all with different colors. Kanos was thinking many things right now. ‘Is this a dream? Am I dead? Is this a test from God? Am I imagining all of these, or are these real? What happened to Feriel? What am I supposed to do now?’ He was confused.

After some time, Kanos regained his conscience and looked around at the 9 vortexes. Mysteriously, when he saw the blue vortex, he was attracted to it very much. When he stepped into the blue vortex, somebody shouted from his back.

“Hey! Wait!” But it was too late. When Kanos stepped into the vortex, the vortex sucked him instantly. “NO! Crap! I’m gonna get scolded for this. .Agh… What do I do…..? Yes! I will just report to Darian that there was a malfunction! Well, it’s lucky that it was only him who I failed to stop though.” He felt sorry for the man who just went inside the blue vortex. ‘What can I do for him? Wait; let’s check who this guy is first.’

By saying that, Balcanos, the one who was responsible for this as the dimension-vortex controller, opened his ‘book’. “Hmm… Name is Kanos, age 16, specialty: Time stopping and…..he is also a wielder?!” ‘WHAT?! He can stop time?! That is a power too great for him. I will just modify this power of his and give him some other modifications then. I can’t believe that a wielder has just appeared like that.’ Balcanos started to erase and rewrite Kanos’s information.

“Let’s give him the best body structure and power for a human, the knowledge of the languages in every dimension, and I will also give him…..Protector… since Kanos is one of the wielders..... Blue vortex and blue spear…. That is quite similar to the prophecy, which says ‘the wielder who passes through the blue vortex with ‘the spear’ shall become one of Darian’s knights. Well, that might not be true, but destiny is destiny itself. One chooses one’s own path or makes one. I shall not interfere with this event.” By saying this, he closed the book, threw Protector to the blue vortex and made his way to meet Darian, the lord of the gods…..