Chapter 36: In Its Time (The Final Chapter)

Start from the beginning

Their strongest guardian angel has disappeared into ashes.

No one moved from their spot. They all just kept on pouring out all the painful absence of their angel. Ravn's loud sobs have subsided but his tears never stopped. None of theirs did. Everyone fell silent except for their quiet cries.

"Did we lose?" An angelic and divine voice was heard far from the crowd. Everyone looked to the direction of the voice and everyone stood straight to bow down. The mortals just stayed still, not knowing what to do.

"Stand up and bow down." An angel muttered to them. The seven of them instantly stood up and bowed.

"Who is she?" Keonhee asked. Their eyes were bloodshot red but they still tried to compose themselves.

"It's the Queen of the Celestial Palace." The angel replied to them, his head still bowed down. The boys looked surprised upon knowing who she is. It made sense how divine she looked. Angels followed her inside. They were probably the ones who handled the underworld beings in the ruins.

"Your highness." Seraphiel responded as a representative for them.

"Did we lose?" She asked once again.

"No, your highness. We won. The king is dead and the seven mortals are saved."

The queen looked satisfied at the good news but she couldn't smile. "If we won, then why do you all look like you're defeated?"

Seraphiel pursed his lips. His eyes glanced at the white ashes behind him.

"Gabrielle has died."

"How did this happen?" She queried when she couldn't really see her around. She couldn't believe how one of her best angels have ceased to exist anymore. It seemed impossible to her.

No, it's impossible to them all.

Everyone fell silent until Ravn lifted his head and looked at the queen, something stirring inside him. "S-She saved me from the king. It was me that should have died but she took the arrow for me."

"Who is this?"

"He's the cursed man of pride, your highness." Seraphiel replied.

"Oh." The queen looked at Ravn and to the rest of the mortals. "The seven cursed mortals."

"Can you bring her back to life?" Ravn asked. Everyone looked at him with wide eyes. It was a question he knew the answer to, but he just wanted to take chances. He wanted to grasp onto something, even if it's a thin string of hope.

"I'm afraid I can't--"

"She deserves to live, you know." Ravn interrupted the queen, knowing that by her look and the words she has just said, it just burned the thin string of hope he was trying to reach.

"We are all alive because of Gabrielle. We are saved because of her. She did everything for us and for this mission to be a success. We barely survived, we could have been fully turned into one of them. But because of her greatness, she possibly made a ghoul turn his back on the king and helped us get through this. She helped us get over our sins and she gave us a brighter life. Just tell me she deserved to die just like that? She didn't. She didn't deserve this kind of reward."

Everyone fell silent once again after Ravn's outburst. It was as if anything's going to change after this. The mortals just stared at the ground, they all agreed to what Ravn said, but like then, is there even a change?