Chapter 29: Bloody Battlefield

It was only about three knocks. And after that, there was only the deafening silence engulfing them.

"Did someone call a pizza guy?" Hwanwoong asked, his face somehow lighting up until everyone let out an answer.

"No."

"Any special delivery?"

"No."

Silence filled the room again after those answers. They were all looking at each other, confused and cautious. Soon enough, Gabrielle stood up from her seat. "I'm going to check it out."

"I'll go with you." Everyone said in unison. Either they're afraid of her going alone, or afraid of them being left.

"There's a doorbell at the gate though. Why would they..." Keonhee trailed off, slowly feeling anxious.

"Exactly." Leedo muttered.

"Something feels wrong about this." Seraphiel said. "Why don't you get some weapons just in case anything happens. The three of us will go instead."

The mortals all nodded at his suggestion before hurriedly leaving the study room.

Seraphiel, Gabrielle, and San are the only ones that went to the other way. They all walked cautiously to where the front door was.

They soon froze on their steps when they saw the front door wide open. The sun has almost completely set and everything was slowly getting dark outside.

"I closed the door a while ago. I was sure of that." Gabrielle said in a low tone, her eyebrows furrowing.

San swallowed a lump on his throat. "I'll try checking outside--"

"Wait." Seraphiel stopped him. They don't even know who's outside or what they'll be facing.

Gabrielle and San waited for Seraphiel's orders by looking at him. On the other hand, the male angel was trying to think of something, or someone, or somewhere.

"CHARGE!"

The deafening silence was soon ended when the three of them heard loud screams from above.

From the second floor.

When they all looked up, they saw ghouls, about fifty jumping down from the second floor. Seonghwa was still left on the railings. He just watched the scene unfolding before his eyes.

"Watch out!" Seraphiel yelled as they all backed away to avoid getting jumped on. As soon as the ghouls landed they instantly attacked the three of them.

Each one of them handled about two to three ones, one after another.

"How did they come here!?" Gabrielle asked as she gave one ghoul a strong kick, sending it to the wall and cracking it.

"T-they must have used me." San replied back as he fought with his own kind.

"What!?"

"Tracking a ghoul is easier for us. He must have tracked me."

Gabrielle grunted in response. Although the enemies are many, they aren't that strong unlike the first-rate ones.

Except for Seonghwa who is watching from above.

Their conversation has soon ended when the mortals entered the chaotic battle field, each one of them were holding swords.

They all looked at how the house was ruined. Broken vases were everywhere, the chandelier has fallen, and walls were cracked.

"H-how did they come here?" Keonhee looked at everything frantically.

"Won't matter. We have to move!" Ravn yelled and they spread away to help their allies. He saw Gabrielle about to be attacked from behind so he strode fast towards her and before the ghoul could even touch her, his sword pierced through the ghoul.