Chapter 17

The week following the death of the Prophet was one of fear but the police and Homeland Security went out of their way to tell everyone the crisis was over. Agent Avery's work was done, but he stayed in town for an additional few days to attend the public burial of Detective Grozza, a gesture that was appreciated by both Pete and the people he worked with. Cops from all over the nation came out to attend the service as a long line of cops in their dress uniform walked behind the carriage that would carry Grozza to his final resting place. Abby insisted on taking the boys to the service as well, not only to support Pete and the burial of his partner but out of appreciation that he wasn't going in the ground with him. Pete understood her gesture and knew that if it hadn't been for Avery's vest, he would have been killed as well. It was a moment for Pete to reflect on where he had been and what the future held for him as well. He also thought about his mortality and even considered retirement while watching the officers fire their rifles in tribute to their fallen comrade. If he wasn't careful and walk away from the table while he was still ahead, this funeral might be a preview of what was waiting for him. Pete took the thoughts seriously and would have to think about it more in the coming weeks before the next psycho tried to take the Prophet's place. He didn't want to go on this roller coaster again, not when it came so close to harming his family.

     "This is not the time for those thoughts," Avery whispered behind him.

     "How do you know what I'm thinking?" Pete asked.

     "Most of the cops here are thinking it, too," Avery replied. "I'd be worried if you weren't thinking about it. I would recommend not making any rash decisions. Instead of quitting, I would consider other employment options."

     "You mean at the federal level?" Pete guessed.

     "After your work here with the Prophet," Avery started, "It wouldn't be hard to twist my superior's arms. We did make a rather good team."

     "I'll think about it," Pete said, unwilling to make promises.

     "Fair enough," Avery said, as he patted Pete on the back. "It's an open offer, feel free to contact us at any time."

     "I will," Pete said as the ceremony was just finishing. He walked his family back to their car and as the kids were getting in, he handed the keys to Jesse. "Take them all home for me."

     "Where are you going?" Jesse asked.

     "There's someone I need to speak with." Pete kissed her on the cheek. "I'll grab pizza on my way home. It won't take long."

     "Alright," Jesse said as she took the keys and got into the car. He watched as they slowly pulled away and followed the rest of the cars out of the cemetery and back onto the road. After the car was long out of sight, Pete turned to Avery, who was still within earshot.

     "Can you give me a ride, Agent Avery?" he asked.

     "No problem," Avery said as he walked over. "Where to?"

     "Blitzer Technologies," Pete answered. "I'd like to check in with Kyle."

     It took Avery less than twenty minutes to drive Pete to the corporate building of Kyle Blitzer's company. It was a very tall building, all glass, which refused to show anyone looking at it what was going on inside.

     "You coming?" Pete asked.

     "I'll pass," Avery said, not very interested. "I've got things to do."

     "Okay," Pete said as he hopped out, "Thanks for the ride."

     It was quite interesting for Avery to pass on joining him, considering the person Pete was about to visit. He slowly walked through the enormous lobby to the main desk where three women took calls.