Chapter 72

Andrian shifts and Rowan scrambles to her feet. She winces at Aoife's disapproving look but doesn't apologize. She won't apologize for being concerned about Andrian. He shifts again and Rowan steps forward.

"An?"

His eyes open, dull with confusion and lack of complete awareness. "Ro-"

Rowan cuts him off. "You're ok, Andrian. We're back in the pocket realm."

Awareness floods back into his eyes now and he pushes himself up. Aoife stretches her hand out toward him, clicking her tongue in disapproval. Andrian ignores her, looking at Rowan instead. He searches her face for something, she doesn't know what. He scans her and then does it again, his gaze sweeping over her entire body. Rowan frowns at him.

"Andrian, I'm fine. I promise. Everything is fine."

"Ro, it was a trap!"

She reaches for him, gripping his shoulders. "Andrian. Nothing happened. We got out alright, we're safe."

He shakes his head. "It was a trap."

"I know, but we escaped it. We're safe."

Andrian's eyes are wide, confused. He may be more aware, but Rowan's words aren't registering yet. Rowan looks over at Aoife.

"Does he need to stay?"

Aoife frowns. "I'd like him to stay, but I don't think he will. He's quite focused on you right now, I don't think he's going to leave your side. So if you stay with him, he can leave."

"How long?"

"Stay with him as long as you can."

"Okay." Rowan looks back at Andrian and stands. He moves to follow her and she grips his shoulders, slowing him. "Andrian, slowly. Slowly."

His speed slows marginally, but she needs to keep pushing him down to slow him further. At last, he is on his feet and she steps back. He takes a stumbling step toward her, eyes fixed on her face. Rowan takes another step back, moving to the side. Andrian turns to follow her. Rowan stands still, letting him reach her. He reaches for her hand and she lets him take it. He squeezes her hand, not tight enough to hurt but tightly enough that she is very aware of his hold on her.

She looks at Andrian, her brow furrowing. Although his eyes are focused on her, his gaze is still distant. Rowan leads him to the door carefully and opens it with her free hand. Outside, Camden scrambles to his feet. He had been leaning against the side of the house, his head tipped back. His eyes go right to Andrian and he grins.

"Andrian!" Andrian doesn't respond and Camden's smile falls into a frown. He looks at Rowan. "What's wrong with him?"

"I don't think he's fully aware of everything yet. He's just been focusing on me. I don't think he's even realised that the Seelie lord doesn't have him anymore yet. He just keeps saying that it's a trap."

Camden frowns. "Come on, let's get him back to the house."

Rowan nods and starts to lead Andrian through the village clearing. He doesn't look around, he just watches her. Rowan doesn't think he knows they are in the pocket realm, he isn't looking at him. Her mind is whirring. Even with how long he was unconscious, he should have become aware of his surroundings by now.

Rowan and Aoife healed him, they removed the toxin from him, so what is wrong with him? Why isn't he aware of anything? When they make it back to the house, Rowan and Camden find Cáel sitting in one of the armchairs, staring at the door. He bursts to his feet when the door swings open in front of Camden. Rowan steps inside, Andrian following her in. Cáel looks past Rowan at Andrian, already frowning.

"What's wrong with him?"

Rowan shrugs. "He hasn't really become entirely aware of things yet. I think he's aware enough that he knows I'm here and he's trying to protect me, but he doesn't realise that we're in the pocket realm. He still thinks the Seelie Lord has him, he keeps saying its a trap."

Cáel motions her towards one of the chairs. Rowan helps Andrian into it and perches on the arm. He still hasn't let go of her hand. She touches his shoulder with her other hand, reaching across herself.

"Andrian, can you look around?"

He hesitates before taking his gaze off her face. He glances around the room for a brief moment before he looks back at her.

"Can you tell me where we are?"

He frowns, a tiny light coming into his eyes. A tiny speck of awareness. Rowan leans forward, encouraged. That speck flickers but doesn't disappear. He speaks at last, his voice soft.

"Home?"

Rowan smiles and nods. "Yes. We're in the pocket realm. We're safe."

He starts blinking hard. Rowan frowns, startled. What's going on now?
________________________________________________________________________________
Poor Andrian. He's so out of it. What do you think is happening now? What is going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.