Chapter 36

Andrian steps in front of Rowan, leading her to the house. For once, his two brothers aren't waiting for them inside, so the two make their way to Andrian's room without any interference. When Andrian moves to sit on the bed, Rowan realizes that he is still frowning. She sits beside him and leans her head on his shoulder.

"What's wrong?"

He glances down at her. "Did something happen on your way here?"

Rowan shrugs. "I don't think so. I had to do my lessons this morning, which is why I'm late. When I got out, I started running through the forest." His frown deepens and she hurries to explain. "I just wanted to run, that's all. At some point, I stopped running and walked the rest of the way to the river. That's when I saw you."

"You're sure that's what happened?"

Rowan nods. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He doesn't answer. Rowan shifts the cord around her neck to readjust the stone pendant. Andrian's attention snags on it.

"What is that?"

Rowan looks down. "My grandmother said that it would protect me. I don't know where she got it, though, and she won't tell me."

"Hmm. Can I see it?"

Rowan lifts the cord over her neck and hands it to Andrian, who turns the stone over in his hands. His attention seems to be drawn to the inky mark in the centre, as he keeps running the pad of a finger along its edges. He traces the symbol one last time before he hands the necklace back to Rowan. She slips it over her neck and leans back.

"Did you figure out what it is?"

"It's just a protection rune. Nothing more, nothing less." He pauses. "Were you wearing that on your way here?"

Rowan laughs. "Of course I was! I didn't just pick it up off the ground, if that's what you're worried about."

"And you were wearing your other charms?"

"Yes, I was wearing my rowan berries and my red bracelet, I have a bag of salt and an iron nail in my pocket. My socks are inside out as well, although . . ."

Andrian sits up straighter. "Although, what?"

Rowan frowns. "You shouldn't have been able to see me if they were working. I hadn't used up the protection from them yet, I hadn't made myself known to any of the Aos Sí." A flash of surprise runs through her, it's getting easier and easier for her to say Aos Sí instead of faerie. To think it as well. "Maybe it's because I'm your cridhe?"

Andrian shrugs. "Perhaps."

He doesn't quite look like he believes his own statement, but Rowan doesn't try to get him to tell her. It's something that is bothering him, she knows that. She doesn't need to know more. If he wants to tell her, he will. Andrian shakes his head to clear her thoughts.

"What else have you been doing since yesterday?"

Rowan shifts uneasily. "Ummm. I went back to the bramble patch. The Seelie Lord had torn it to pieces. And . . . I healed it?"

Andrian's mouth drops open. "You healed it? How?"

Rowan shrugs. "I was just touching the plants and they started repairing themselves. I don't know how, exactly."

"There is more, isn't there?"

Rowan nods. "One of the trees I healed is home to a dryad. She decided to help me learn to control the magic."

Andrian beams. "That's good! Have you learned anything?"

Rowan swallows nervously. She doesn't think he will like this. "She had me go back to the forest in my mind."

Andrian's mouth drops open. "Please don't tell me you did."

"Ummm."

He sighs. "You did, didn't you?"

"Yes? It wasn't that bad. She didn't tell me what exactly it was, but it did something? I have to be careful about touching the ground now, though."

"Why?" Andrian looks interested, but wary at the same time.

"Whenever I touch the ground, I keep growing flowers."

Andrian bursts into laughter. "That's it? You were terrifying me for a moment there! What type of flowers?"

Rowan shifts nervously. She wants to tell him, but Darach said not to tell anyone. But she can trust Andrian, can't she? "Can you bring some soil in here?"

Andrian raises an eyebrow. "Why can't we go outside?"

Rowan shakes her head. "Please? I just want to do this inside." She'll show Andrian, but she can at least be sure that no one else will see, no one that shouldn't see.

Andrian shrugs. "Alright, I'll be right back."
________________________________________________________________________________
Do you think Andrian will know what the flower means? Do you think Andrian is concerned because he might know her memory was stolen? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~Goddess of Fate, signing out.