chapter twenty

We're almost to the end...

Jason looked up to see Bruce and Dick approaching him, Talia, and Damian. He gulped, looking at the stitches on Bruce's side and on his hand. "Hey..."

"Hey, Jay." Bruce gave Jason a small smile, letting him know there were no hard feelings. He looked to Talia and Damian, locking eyes with Talia.

"My boys, if you'll excuse me. I need to talk with your father." Talia kissed both of their foreheads, following Bruce as he lead her away from the heroes. When they were a good distance away from everyone Talia turned to Bruce. "Beloved, I never meant to harm either of our boys, believe me."

"I do, Talia. That's not what I wanted to talk with you about." Bruce spoke softly.

"Then what is it?"

"I am here to make an offer, one I hope you don't refuse, for the sake of our sons and your well being." Talia smiled at Bruce.

"Well, go on then."

As Talia and Bruce discussed his offer, Jason sat with Damian and Dick, looking out the Watchtower windows. "I wonder what they are talking about."

"Me too, Jay. I hope father doesn't blame mother for her actions. She was being controlled, as were you." Damian smiled at Jason. "I wonder how grandfather is fairing right now, with his colleagues finding out about his deceit."

"With all due respect, little one, who cares? He tried to get me to kill your father."

"And had mother try to kill you." Damian reminded him.

"It would just be the universe correcting itself, Dami. I'm not meant to be alive again. I'm an anomaly, a freak. I should be dead."

"Jay-"

"But since I am alive and it was mother that brought me back, I owe her my life and my loyalty. She has given me purpose by ordering me to protect you, extending my loyalty to you. You two are my life." Jason looked to Damian, sensing something was off. "Dami? What is it?"

"Jason...I want you to have your own life, be your own person."

Jason frowned. "Damian, I like protecting you. It-"

"Gives you purpose, yes, you've said that. But your entire life you've been following someone's orders. When you were father's Robin, when you came back to life and mother ordered you to guard me, when Ra's chipped you...it seems as if you've never had a chance to make your own decisions." Damian looked up at Jason. "Jason, I hereby release you from your duty as my protector. You are free to forge your own path."

"Damian...I-I wouldn't even know what to do. I want to stay on as your guardian, please."

"I'm sorry, Jay, I really am, but I am doing this for you. You will always be my brother but now you are no longer obligated to me or mother." Damian smiled at Jason.

Jason stared at Damian, unsure of what to say or do. Dick watched the exchange between his two brothers, a small grin on his face. He was shocked at how mature Damian was being but also proud of him, excited for Jason to be his own person. Looking over at where Bruce and Talia were, he noticed they were heading back in their direction. He gulped, unsure of how Talia would take the news of Damian releasing Jason.

Talia and Bruce stopped in front of Dick, Damian, and Jason. "Dick, where are Cass and Tim? We have something to discuss with all of you."

"I'll go get them." Dick disappeared in search of the other two siblings.

Damian looked up at Talia. "Mother, I would like you to know that I have released Jason from his duty as my protector. I hope you aren't mad."

Talia chuckled. "Mad? Why would I be mad? Damian, my son, I am proud of you for making that decision." She kissed his hair before turning to Jason. "And Jason, this does not change how I view you. You will always be my son."

"That went better than I thought it would." Everyone looked up to see Dick standing there with Tim and Cassandra. "We're all here, Bruce. What is it you two want to tell us?"

Bruce looked to Talia. "Since my father repeatedly keeps trying to have my sons maimed or murdered, I do not wish to return to him. And it would make your teams rescue mission moot, now wouldn't it?"

"Where will you go?" Tim asked, looking between Bruce and Talia, noticing how close they were standing. "Oh. Oh. She's moving into the manor, isn't she?"

"What?! Bruce, are you insane? She is Talia freaking al Ghul!" Dick cried out.

"And she is also the mother of two of my sons, and out casted by her father." When Dick went to protest this Bruce raised a hand to silence him. "I have thought this through, Dick. If she tries to betray my trust, I will handle it. For now, however, she is staying at the manor."

Damian looked up at his parents. "We...we are going to be a family?"

"Looks that way, little demon." Jason ruffled his hair. "One big family."

"I can't believe this is happening." Dick groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. "This is ridiculous."

"Maybe. Or maybe it is the beginning of something beautiful, Dick. Ever think of that?" Jason quirked a brow. "You gave me a second chance, why not my mother?"

Dick went to argue but stopped, sighing instead. "You're right. I need to be more open minded and forgiving. One chance, Talia. That's all you get. You even think about betraying Bruce or our family and-"

"You'll kill me?" Talia looked skeptical.

"No." Dick narrowed his eyes. "I'll make you wish you were dead."

Talia chuckled. "Richard, I grew up with Ra's al Ghul. You can't compare."

"Try me."

"Enough." Jason stepped in between. He looked at Bruce expectantly. "Let's all go home, yeah? I think we've earned some rest and relaxation."

"Yeah. Let's go home."