"No." Quinn shook her head, throat dry, "Just me."

Her head spun. Nausea swam in her stomach, turned her thoughts into swirls of nothing.

"When will you be back?" Eylem had spoken next, watching Quinn closely.

"I don't know," Quinn replied, "I'll let you guys know."

Gavin stood up beside her, "I'll follow you out."

She knew she should've said no to it, knew what Kimmel had explained in those last few minutes in the conference room with Scott and her. But she found she couldn't.

"I'd like that." Quinn murmured, turning toward the hall of Tibble's apartment.

"Quinn," Adina called, right before Quinn could turn the corner and enter Tibble's hall. She backtracked, met her mentor's calm eyes.

"Yes?"

"Keep your head about you. I want you back here in one piece, got that?"

Quinn blinked at Adina, but she had heard the steel lining her words. Adina's knuckles were white as she gripped her glass, hard, appearing as if she was holding herself back.

"I will." Quinn smiled, bade them farewell, before she stepped out into the hall once again.

Gavin had already plucked her jacket from its hook, holding it out so that Quinn could step into it. It wasn't really her jacket — merely an old one Gavin had dug up back at the cottage — but it was warm and fit snugly.

"Thanks," Quinn said, drawing the jacket around her.

Locke said nothing, merely pulling his jacket out of the wardrobe, tossing it over broad shoulders as he gestured to the door. Quinn went first, flicking the lock open before exiting Adina's apartment, leaving the warmth and the lull of soft conversation behind. Locke followed closely behind, letting the door fall shut on its own behind them.

The elevator ride down was silent, no words exchanged. As they walked through the lobby of Adina's building, they remained quiet. It wasn't until they'd stepped outside, cold air whispering across exposed skin, that Gavin lifted a hand to Quinn's elbow and stopped her.

She tilted her head up to meet his dark look, noting the clench of his jaw as he appeared to be pondering something. Before Quinn could ask him about it, he let his hand travel from her elbow to her cheek. His other arm moved, too, until both of his calloused palms rested on both sides of her face.

Quinn relaxed into his grip, eyes resting solely on him. He swept a tendril of hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear. His thumb returned to stroke across her cheekbone, a recurring move of his.

When he made no attempt to move after a minute, Quinn reached up to grasp his wrist.

"Gavin, I have to go."

"Give me a minute, would you?" He asked it softly, in a way few people would ever come to see Special Agent Locke.

"Alright." Quinn smiled into his hands, eyes focused on his as his thumb swept her cheekbone again.

Gavin inched closer, until she felt his warmth through her jacket. When he spoke next, his words were a low timbre intended only for her.

"Be careful, will you? Don't do anything stupid."

Tilting her head, Quinn furrowed her brows.

"What do you mean?"

Gavin didn't reply, eyes flicking to her mouth. Quinn's heart fluttered unsteadily, mind tossing her back to the moment in France.

She hadn't expected anything — hadn't dared to think of it. But now ...

"Just remember that I promised to have your back."

It was all Gavin said, and before Quinn could reply, he tipped his head down and kissed her firmly. Her hands lifted of their own accord, a dull pain shooting through her abdomen as the movement tugged on her wound, but Quinn didn't care. She wound her arms around the back of his neck, tugging him further down as he slanted his lips across hers.

His hands hadn't moved from her cheeks, merely tipping her head back for him to angle himself better. He moved away, briefly, then pressed a soft kiss to her mouth, before he straightened up slightly, pressing a kiss to the center of her forehead.

Quinn couldn't see it, but felt him rest his forehead briefly against hers, drawing a deep breath.

"I have to go, Gavin." Quinn said it softly. Gavin let his hands drop, nodding at her, as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Stay safe. Back in one piece, remember?"

"I do." Quinn said, stepping away from Tibble's building.

Long after she'd disappeared around the bend of a building, Gavin remained by the entrance to Adina's building, eyes stuck on the last corner she'd turned before he lost sight of her. 

—————

a/n: what's happening guys? ;D;D;D;D;;DD

1. where's quinn going? 

xo, cleo