Thirty-Five

a/n decided to drop another chapter because all of your comments made me so happy. you are incredible.

THIRTY-FIVE

—————

Adina stood by the entrance to Chief Vahid's office, almost feeling anxious for the first time in, well, forever. She did not get nervous, because she was the sort of logical individual who could assume the probable outcomes from whatever situation she inserted herself in, attempting to guess the ending before she even got started.

It was one of the reasons she was absolutely terrific at her job. But now, her job entailed convincing a Chief that someone in her department had gone out of their way to sabotage the Agency. As someone who was now actively going against her own place of employment to protect a person who had just been convicted of sabotaging the Agency, well —

— Adina certainly wasn't one to talk.

Tipping her chin up, Adina thought of the new bottle of whiskey she back at her office, then raised her fist and knocked.

"Come in." Came the call from the other side of the frosted glass double-doors.

Adina stepped inside, carefully closing the doors after her. She glanced toward the middle of the room, and found the young Chief Vahid seated behind an array of wide screens planted on a sturdy desk. The cords were neatly swept into small boxes which hid them behind the front of the desk.

Vahid angled one of the screens away, peering at Adina.

"Chief Tibble," Vahid nodded at the plush armchairs planted in front of her desk, "Have a seat."

"Thank you, Chief Vahid."

The rest of the office was as sleek and modern as the Chief herself. Big windows offered a splendid view of the bustling street outside, though the white drapes had been drawn to minimize some of the light pouring in from the outside. By the windows stood an artfully arranged clump of potted plants, a pop of color injected into the otherwise monochrome room. A wall-mounted bookcase boasted a number of books and reports, while the file cabinet beneath offered further compartments for stashing documents, all neatly tagged with etiquettes.

Some type of expensive, minimal art dotted the walls, but otherwise they were bare. Vahid herself wore little color, sporting a steel grey A-line dress covered by an elegant grey suit jacket. She had pearls dripping from silver hoops in her ears, curly hair swept back by a matching pearl-studded accessory. The only drop of color on her was the dark pink lipstick, contrasting perfectly with her dark skin.

Adina seated herself in one of the grey armchairs, watched as Vahid's eyes darted to the entrance of the office as if double-checking the doors.

"I would assume you aren't here to discuss regular business, Chief Tibble."

Adina nodded lightly, pleased at the Chief's ability to pick up quickly. There was always a reason she'd liked the Chief of Technology, and it was mostly that she was eons ahead mentally than some of the knobs overseeing the Special Agents' departments.

"If you are uncomfortable having this discussion in the office, we could go for a stroll," started Adina, " — for security's sake."

Vahid waved it off, "I am fine having it here. Discussing Agency business in public is never a good idea."

Adina offered a brief smile, "Agreed. Let's get to business, then?"

Eylem leaned back in her chair, removing her thinly framed glasses to wipe them against a silken handkerchief.