Last Day In California

Mizpah (n.): the deep emotional bond between people, especially those separated by distance or death.

As the rising sun shined through the thin curtains in Michael's room, he unconsciously stretched as the light stirred him from his sleep. As he reached out where Selina had fallen asleep when they watched movies after the premier, he found her spot empty. Cracking open his eyes in confusion, he discovered his balcony doors cracked open and could smell coffee. As Michael sat up in bed, he could see Selina sitting on the concrete railing with her knees to her chest as she basked in the morning sun.

"There's coffee for you on the table," Selina spoke, not taking her eyes off the sunrise.

"How'd you know I was awake?" Michael asked with a smile as he stepped outside with the cup she had made him.

"You make puppy noises when you're waking up because you stretch" she smiled back, glancing at him as he sat down in a chair next to her.

"Well, I have to wake up before you some time, so I know what you look like when you wake up?" he smirked, getting a chuckle out of Selina's plump lips.

"From what I've seen you, Honey, you like to sleep in, so good luck with that," Selina smirked, clearly not caring that they had fallen asleep in the same bed.

"Come here, I want to hold you while we watch the rest of the sunrise and then make breakfast for us and the two asleep in the guest bedroom" Michael smiled, setting his cup down on the table.

With a smile, Selina crawled off the railing and nestled into Michael's arms like he was her home. It surprised her how quickly Michael had won her over, and she could see herself spending the rest of her life with him. Michael cared about Selina and her family and wanted to make sure that she achieved the goals she had dreamed about for so long. He was determined to let her grandmother see that he would make sure she was taken care of and happy after her death.

"So, Josh and Julia fell asleep here?" Selina asked, looking up at Michael through her lashes

"I heard them hooking up last night when I went to the bathroom after you fell asleep," Michael chuckled, "They decided it was smarter to stay here instead of driving home."

"Oh my god! Are you serious?" Selina blushed.

"Yeah," Michael chuckled again, "Can I talk to you about something before we go downstairs?"

"Yeah, what's up?" she asked cocking her head at Michael.

"I don't want you to feel pressure to have sex with me. Whenever you're ready, it will happen, but I don't ever want you to feel obligated to have sex. I want you to feel safe and loved and cared about when the time comes," Michael smiled honestly.

"I appreciate that," Selina smiled shyly, "I won't lie, I enjoyed sleeping next to you last night. You kept the nightmares at bay last night. I just wish it didn't have to change after today."