The Alter AU: Part 2 | Angst

Time and Setting - Set after part 1, titled "We have a problem"

Focus Character(s) - Mumbo, Xisuma, Iskall, Wels, Grian and Evil Xisuma and Hels (mentioned), Doc and Stress and  (mentioned/briefly)

Ship(s) - Could be intepreted as Grumbo

Trigger/Content Warnings - Mentions of kidnapping and death, swearing (like twice), someone has a panic attack (i think?)

Background - Takes place after "This is a problem"

Not a request (I guess?)

A/N: I had too much fun with the Evil!Grian concept from the first one-shot/request, so here's a part 2! Also, expect a part 3 at some point in the future. Maybe even a part 4 uwu

Yes, I will write a one-shot not focused around Grian or Mumbo one day. Today, however, is not that day. Perhaps tomorrow. Who knows? 

Also, oligatory tag for BarnowlNiza who was the original prompter for part 1, and will probaly wanna see part 2 as well. Please tell me if you don't wanna be tagged in future parts! 

Also also, this AU has been nicknamed the Alter AU (via Grian's changes, because EX and Hels altered him slightly)

---

A fresh change of clothes helped Mumbo focus again. 

Admittedly, they weren't his clothes, and instead were a mix mash of second hand things offered by the other Hermits, but they were clean clothes nonetheless. Snuggling down into Jevin's spare hoodie, Mumbo watched as Xisuma walked back into the room, flicking though some noted he'd taken while flicking through code. 

Iskall, Wels and Mumbo were seated in Mumbo's Hobbit Hole, Mumbo watching bleakly as Iskall and Wels made small talk. It had been a week since he'd been kidnapped and killed by Grian, Hels and Xerexis (Evil Xisuma), and he still felt awful and betrayed. 

Grian, his closest friend, was gone. Not there aymore, and the thing that was in his place, believed Hels to be in the right. Mumbo had honestly considered that this Grian was Grian from Hels' universe, but normal Grian being missing, and the lack of memories thing all proved that no, the Grian who'd stabbed Mumbo was Mumbo's Grian. 

Which Mumbo hated. 

A lot. 

"Whatever was done to Grian, it applied the same settings that Xerexis and Hels have." Xisuma's words broke Mumbo from his thoughts, the redstoner looking up at Xisuma as Xisuma continued to speak. 

"Grian's code is inaccessable, and despite my status on this server, it tells me that my access to those files are denied. I don't know what Hels and Xerexis did to Grian, but I can't reverse it through the server's code." 

Well fuck. 

"Then what should we do about this? We need to get Grian back." Iskall stared up at Xisuma, the admin sighing. 

"I don't know. I think our best option is probably to find them again, and after dealing with Hels and Xerexis, we can try and fix him. You said he had memory issues, right Mumbo?" Xisuma looked over at Mumbo expectantly, and when Mumbo nodded his confirmation, Xisuma continued. 

"Wels, you've fought and beat Hels once before. I trust that you can at the very least, keep him distracted. Iskall, you and I will focus on my brother. Mumbo, you - " Xisuma was listing off jobs for the four of them to do, when Iskall cut Xisuma off. 

"Wait, wait, wait. Brother???" Iskall stared at Xisuma. Mumbo could have sworn he could see Xisuma shrink down several inches under Iskall's piercing gaze, although he took little notice. 

Xerexis was Xisuma's brother? 

"Yeah. I, uh, haven't mentioned it before, but Xerexis is technically my brother. Well, is, but also isn't. I'll explain it more later. Going back to what I was saying," Xisuma finished, staring at Iskall as though challenging the Swede to interupt again, "Mumbo, you focus on getting Grian out of there. We'll start searching tomorrow." 

Mumbo nodded, staring out the giant window as he did so. 

The thunder and rain fit the mood of the server. 

---

Thankfully for Mumbo, by morning, Stress had patched up his suit jacket and shirt. She smiled as she gave it to him, and waved Mumbo off when he tried to pay her for her work, befor Mumbo got changed and showed up at his Hobbit Hole. 

That was where he'd agreed to meet with Xisuma, Wels and Iskall after all. 

When he landed, Mumbo spotted Xisuma, who had donned a mask version of his helmet. It was just the breathing filter and visor, Xisuma's brown hair fluffy and freed from the usual helmet. Mumbo knew that this was probably so Xisuma could wear a diamond helmet. 

Wels, on the other hand, was in his normal knight armour. Sorta. It was enchanted, which Mumbo found odd, as he thought only normal armour could be enchanted. Guess not. 

Iskall was just chilling though, with his normal outfut and no armour, something Mumbo wasn;t on the side of. He was wearing a helmet, leggings and boots, and elytra. He'd made sure to come prepared. 

Xisuma looked over when Mumbo landed, and after a moment of hesitation, spoke. "Are we all ready to go?" Mumbo nodded, and based on Xisuma's response, so did the other two. 

"Then let's head off." Xisuma took to the sky via an elytra, Mumbo close behind him. He'd paced seeral stacks of golden carrots, and almost twice the aount of rockets, but he still felt underprepared. 

They'd been flying for a while when Mumbo started to think again. 

Last time he'd seen Grian, he'd been stabbed and killed. What if the same thing happened again? What if they succeeded, but they couldn't get Grian back to normal? What if they got lost, and couldn't find their way back or Grian? What if - 

Mumbo must have been visibly panicking, because he felt Xisuma place a hand on his shoulder, lsteering him towards an island below them. When he felt the sand beneath his feet, he fell to his knees, letting his elytra fold on his back. Mumbo could faintly register tears running down his cheeks. 

He didn't want this. He wanted everything to go back to normal. He wanted to be teaching Grian redstone in the early hours of the morning. He wanted to summon Grian to the Hermit Challenges area with obscure ways, or coordiate imprinted saplings. 

He wanted Grian back. 

Mumbo hadn't realised that Xisuma was sitting on the sand near him until Xisuma pulled Mumbo towards him, muttering soothing words as he stroked Mumbo's hair. Words that Mumbo admittedly didn't understand (standard galactic, perhaps?), but he took comort in them anyways. 

"Mumbo?" Wels and Iskall must have landed, because Wels said Mumbo's name, concerned. Iskall just let out a confused whine, like a dog, although Mumbo ignored them both. If he just focused on Xisuma's mumbling, then he could calm himself down. 

If he calmed himself down, then they could find and save Grian. 

And then maybe everything could go back to normal. Maybe everything could be okay again. Was that too much to ask for?