Yearning | Hurt/Comfort

Time and Setting – Literally any point in season 6 or 7, but probably the mayorial race during season 7 or smth 

Focus Character(s) – Mumbo Jumbo, Grian, Iskall, the others are mentioned/there they just aren't focus

Ship(s) – One-sided Grumbo, Scarian

Trigger/Content Warnings – n/a :)

Background – Mumbo's willing to go to the ends of the world for Grian, no matter how stupid his friend's idea might be. This has nothing to do with how Mumbo's stomach flutters when he sees Grian, and how he stumbles over his words. 

Not at all. 

Not a request

A/N: welcome to part 2 of the Pebbles Projects on Hermits series, this time ft my one sided love for a close friend :')

For the record, this exact situation hasn't happened, nor has my "grian" got a "scar", that was just the best way i could think of writing it lmao 

---

"You know, you've gotta tell him eventually." 

Mumbo could feel Iskall's eyes bare down onto him, and Mumbo flushed under his collar, his paper white skin flushed under his suit. His Swedish friend sat on a couple of stacked shulkers nearby, watching Mumbo intently as he fidgited with a redstone circuit, the dust smudging as he put his palm over it, Mumbo leaning back. 

He ignored the smeared redstone dust on his hand, and buried his face in his hands, his cheeks heating up. 

"You know I can't, Iskall." Mumbo mumbled his words, barely hearing them himself. Iskall sighed, and Mumbo could only think that it was a miracle that Iskall even heard him in the first place. "Not with Scar here. I can't be the only one who's noticed them flirting." Iskall didn't respond this time, and Mumbo looked up, whiping his face with his sleeve. Looking back at it, he could see the redstone dust had smeared over it, and he knew that was going to be hell to get it out, but honestly, Mumbo needed something to distract himself from Grian. 

Look, it wasn't his fault that Grian made his heart flutter, and made him stumble over his words! Grian was just very pretty, and liked to tease Mumbo. That often involved flustering Mumbo, not that it was difficult for Grian to fluster Mumbo. 

Besides, Grian did that to everyone, Mumbo wasn't special. Mumbo just happened to like it more than anyone else did, except for maybe Scar, who liked to flirt back at Grian. And Mumbo was fairly certain that their flirting was turning less and less joking, and more and more serious. Mumbo had heard plenty of rumors, mainly from Iskall, Cleo and Team ZIT about their thoughts, and they were all pretty sure that Grian and Scar would be a thing within the month. 

(Mumbo would be lying if he said he didn't have a problem with it.) 

So Iskall was left to scrape Mumbo off the floor, and Mumbo just had to convince Grian that he didn't have a problem with it. Grian could be quite oblivious about certain things, so Mumbo hoped it wasn't that obvious, but he didn't know. Since the war had ended, he'd been speaking less and less to Grian to try and stop himself from feeling this way. 

Him being Grian's best friend, however, led to that not being much of an issue, because of he were to seriously try, then Grian would have many questions, and Mumbo didn't have the heart to abandon his friend like this. Not when grian was so excited about his advancing relationship with Scar, and Mumbo genuinly wanted to see Grian happy. 

It sucked that it wasn't with him, and that Grian didn't return his feelings, but Mumbo could push those aside, and be happy for Grian. 

If he could change any one thing though, as he'd told Iskall multiple times, he'd make it him and not Scar in this situation. 

"I honestly admire how you can push aside yourself and be happy for Grian, Mumbo." Iskall's words broke Mumbo from his thoughts, Mumbo almost giving himsef whiplash with the speed he took to turn and face Iskall. 

They smiled at Mumbo, strained slightly. "If it were me in your situation, I would not have the self control." 

Mumbo laughed slightly. "I'm awful at expressiong myself though, Iskall." He pointed out. "The coffee and redstone's getting to my head." 

Iskall grinned. "Fair enough, dude." 

They fell into a nice quiet for a moment, and Mumbo turned back to his redstone, although he couldn't focus properly, and ended up just fidgeting with a repeater for a while, changing the times and then activating the machine, and then changing the time again and activating it to see what difference it made. 

The machine itself wasn't overly complex, Mumbo had made multiple before. 

He just couldn't stop thinking about Grian, and you know what? 

Maybe that was okay. 

Maybe he could let himself yearn, and be happy for his friend. 

He only wished it could have been different.