Chapter 13

Gibbs shoved himself to his feet as Loki joined Thor, a wounded Bishop in the god of thunder's arms, in the center of the mall's atrium. Before the former Marine could reach them, the Bifrost blasted down from the sky and took the three up to Asgard.

DiNozzo and McGee were getting to their feet, looking dazed from the blast of energy. The police officers and FBI agents filled the atrium, Fornell leading the chase after the two suspects.

"DiNozzo!" Gibbs shouted, heading toward the markings burned into the floor. "Take the lead until I return!"

"Boss?" DiNozzo said questioningly, turning to watch as Gibbs stopped in the center of the markings.

"Heimdall!" Gibbs yelled. "Open the Bifrost!"

Within moments, the rainbow colored beam of the Bifrost burst down through the skylight and drew Gibbs up into the sky.

****

Frigga glanced up as she heard the sound of something flying. With Thor as her son, she had grown quite used to that sound.

"Odin," she said, touching her husband's shoulder. "Thor's back."

He looked up in time to see Thor flying past the balcony, holding a woman in his arms. From this distance, Frigga couldn't see who it was.

"Who is with him?" Odin asked.

"Perhaps Jane Foster?" Frigga postulated, feeling excited inside at the possibility of meeting her oldest son's girlfriend. She knew Odin didn't like the idea of Thor in love with a mortal woman, but Frigga saw the look in her son's eyes when he talked about Jane, and knew this mortal must be something special, much like Loki's Eleanor Bishop.

Odin would rather his sons married Asgardian women. Frigga was just happy her boys had both found true love.

"I hope not," Odin grumbled. "I wonder why he's brought a woman here."

Frigga looked out again to see Loki running in the same direction Thor had been flying, streaking across the courtyard below the balcony. She furrowed her brow. She hadn't expected to see him back so soon. She'd expected him to stay with his newfound NCIS family until Thor was sent to call him back to Asgard.

"Loki?" Odin queried, watching him run past. "What is he doing home?"

"I don't know," Frigga said. "And why is he running?" She watched him disappear from sight, quite grateful for the influence of Agent Gibbs on his life. Although Loki's mischief-loving personality hadn't changed, his perspective on life had. He was finally living up to his potential to be a hero.

When Thor and Loki were growing up, Odin had always told them they were born to be kings. Frigga, however, had always told them they were born to be heroes.

Then a new figure came into sight, chasing after Loki and Thor, and Frigga recognized the person as Agent Gibbs. Understanding dawned on her.

"So that's why he's running," she and Odin exclaimed simultaneously.

****

Bishop was already lying on the healer's table when Loki entered the chamber. Panting hard, he stumbled over to the side of the table and collapsed on his knees beside her, running his fingers through her long, blonde hair as it hung over her shoulder. Her skin was pale and her eyes closed, her breathing shallow.

"Darling, I promise I will not let you die," Loki whispered, fear surging up inside him. It was a struggle to keep the emotion off his face, especially here, in Asgard. Caressing her cheek softly, he took a breath to aid his fight against his feelings. I swear on my mother and my badge, Halo will pay for this. "Please, Ellie, just stay with me. Please."