Chapter 63

Loki didn't even hesitate. He hit Rumlow with a blast of the Aether so hard, he hurtled straight through the door and all the way to the far end of the room. The only reason he stopped at all was because of the wall. Like a rag doll, he crumpled to the floor. Whether he was dead or not, Loki no longer cared.

The Asgardian strode into the room, scanning for any more threats. The techs all started, wide-eyed, gazing from Rumlow's broken body to Loki's furious expression and threatening scepter. Hands flew into the air as they weakly called out their surrender.

McGee slung his rifle over his back as he headed to a computer station, the tech hurrying out of his chair. The NCIS agent's fingers flew over the keys as he accessed Insight's data. "Damn, they've launched," he said. "Rogers, Bishop, Hill, you got to get those chips switched out before they sync to the satellites."

Loki heard a chorus of "Copy" as McGee projected the schematic of the three helicarriers onto the large plasma screen at the front of the room. He and Gibbs circled the room as McGee worked, making each tech rise and frisking them before sending them to the front of the room where they could keep an eye on them.

"I've accessed the code," McGee called triumphantly. "I'm going to begin rewriting...." He trailed off as the cold muzzle of a gun was placed against his temple. The agent gulped.

Gibbs and Loki were both aiming their weapons at the HYDRA agent, who laughed. "You shoot me, your friend will already be dead. Face it. You'll never uproot HYDRA. Cut off one head –"

The agent's gloating was cut off by the bullet that blew right between his shoulders. Dropping his pistol, he collapsed, blood foaming between his lips.

Gibbs, Loki, and McGee snapped around to face the door, where a young woman stood, holding a pistol. She lowered it. "I'm Agent Sharon Carter," she stated. "Loyal to what SHIELD was supposed to be. How can I help?"

****

As McGee furiously rewrote the code allowing Jacklin and the satellite to sync, Gibbs, Loki, and Carter positioned themselves to keep an eye on the door, Loki standing next to McGee to act as a shield. He was their best hope at defeating Jacklin and so must be protected. Besides, mortal bullets hadn't proven much of a threat to the god of mischief in the past.

Soon, STRIKE agents approached the entrance, guns at the ready. Gibbs and Carter opened fire, catching them partly by surprise, and Loki unleashed the Aether's power.

Needless to say, STRIKE didn't strike, so much as fall down, defeated.

****

Wilson landed on the deck of the helicarrier, Hill releasing the straps and firing at the agents on deck. Quickly, he unfastened the harness and tossed it to the deck, drawing his own pistols to add to her fire. They moved quickly across the deck, Wilson using his wings to shield them from returning bullets.

"There has to be a better way of doing this," Hill hissed.

An idea struck Wilson. "You know, I think there is. You might want to hold on, though."

"But you already dropped the –" Hill's words were torn from her mouth as Wilson wrapped his arms around her abdomen and took off. She held her gun tightly as he dove over the side, away from the gunfire.

They circled under the helicarrier, Wilson employing a strong, laser-powered cutter to cut a hole in the barrier. They landed on the catwalk leading up to the control panel. Wilson let go of Hill, snapping his wings in as she ran toward the control panel, where the target would be. She just needed to replace it and then they could escape as McGee synced with the helicarrier.