Chapter 16: Agatha Meet Agatha

My knees ache and my back hurts from the unending trampoline effect of the water. I desperately want to stop bouncing. The mirrored surface of the ocean makes it impossible to see through, and that's more unnerving than before when it was totally clear. Jonah said that nothing can break through, but how can he be so sure?

We walk for a long time. There's nothing around for miles. How far will this voyage take me? Are we walking to an island? A boat? Anything at all? And if we aren't traveling toward something, why are we walking at all?

I want to ask Jonah these questions and more, but I don't want him to think I'm complaining, so I keep them to myself. Fortunately, with each new question my shaking decreases, and soon I'm so focused on the fact that we're going nowhere that I forget I'm scared.

My brain is in a loop, repeating all of my unanswered questions. Why do we have to walk out this far? Am I supposed to be thinking about the Orb and stuff? Is Jonah required to talk me into something? If that last question is true, I'm in trouble because we haven't spoken for several hours.

These questions are making my jitters come back and when Jonah touches my shoulder, I jump and let out a yelp. I'm so embarrassed by my reaction that I can't look at him. He waits for me to recover but when I don't, he loses his patience, grabs my shoulder again and turns me to face him.

"This is as far as I can go. You must do the rest on your own." He says this so deadpan that I think I must have heard him wrong. There's no way he could believe I would go anywhere without him.

"What?" I'm already shaking my head even though I'm not sure what he wants me to do. "I'm not going anywhere alone. What if that thing comes back, or maybe one of its friends? You should come with me."

Jonah smiles and squeezes my shoulder. "It'll be fine. I won't move from this spot. It's essential that you do this part of the voyage alone."

I forcefully pull away from him as a buzzing in my ears, like a swarm of furious wasps, fills my soul. I've been tricked. "Why didn't you tell me this before we left the beach?"

"Would you have understood if I did?"

I hate it when he answers my questions with a question. "I don't understand now, so no, I wouldn't have, but you should've tried. I don't want to go alone. I don't want to be by myself."

"I'll be here waiting for you. Nothing bad will happen. This is your voyage and you need to be the one to take it. I can't do it for you."

We stare at each other for much longer than I'm comfortable with. I wish I knew how to convince him that I just want to be off the ocean and that I certainly don't want to be on it alone.

I should've never gotten into a staring contest with him because I know he's going to win. I pull my burning eyes away and examine my pathetic reflection in the silver water.

He keeps a hand on my shoulder. It's a reminder that I have to do what he wants. How did I end up here, alone, in the middle of the ocean with the Grim Reaper? My throat tightens, but I won't cry again. I can't remember the last time I cried before I came to this place. It's been years. Jonah makes me cry a lot.

"That monster will eat me." I barely choke the words out. It's the only argument I can think of and it's not a good one.

"I'll be here waiting for you. I promise, I won't move."

What am I doing? I can't swim. The thought of what's lurking below my feet is making my chest hurt. I'm not strong enough to do this, especially alone.

"Agatha," Jonah whispers, squeezing my arm. "Please trust me. I'll never let any harm come to you. I wouldn't ask you to do this if it wasn't important. I promise you, when it's over, you'll be very proud you did it. And you'll be pleased with yourself for being so brave."