Chapter 44

(Thor's POV):
I finally escaped the celebrations to make my way down to the Bifrost for my nightly meeting with Heimdall. The day when all of the fighting to restore peace to the nine realms was over was a day that I longed for. Although I knew my father would not approve, I hoped to return to Earth and spend some time with Jane. I had not seen her since New Mexico, yet my feelings for her remained as strong as ever.

"You're late," Heimdall's booming voice spoke upon realizing I had arrived, not even needing to turn his head to know I was there.

"Merriment can sometimes be a heavier burden than battle," I replied, emotionally drained from the celebrations. There was once a time when I loved the revelries, but that time was long gone. I was just tired of all of the fighting.

Heimdall joked as I approached his side, "then you're doing one of them incorrectly."

A small chuckle left my lips, "perhaps. How fare the stars?"

"Still shining. From here I can see mine realms and ten trillion souls." Heimdall paused as he glanced over at me then put his sword into the Bifrost. "You recall what I taught you of the Convergence?"

"Yes, the alignment of the worlds. It approaches, doesn't it?"

Heimdall took a step down from his post and went to gaze at the gorgeous universe before us, "the universe hasn't seen this marvel since before my watch began. Few can sense it, even fewer can see it. But while its effects can be dangerous, it is truly beautiful."

I took a moment to look for what Heimdall was trying to teach me, but the stars looked as they always did. Beautiful, but not abnormal.

"I see nothing."

"Or, perhaps, that is not the beauty you seek," Heimdall's lips twitched upwards as he tilted his head towards me.

"How is she?"

"She's quite clever, your mortal. She doesn't know it yet, but she studies the Convergence as well."

Heimdall's demeanor changed as he took a step towards the stars, his lips down turning into a frown.

"What is it, is she in danger?" I asked immediately, fearing the worst.

"No, no. But you may recall having asked me to watch over another that you met on Midgard, one that had gotten swept up in your search for Loki."

"Olivia? Is she in trouble?"

"I cannot see her and your brother is still in the dungeons," he replied, my brows furrowing in confusion.

"Heimdall, what do you mean by that?"

"There is much you do not know about Lady Liv, but I can assure you she is not who you think. She disappeared from my view many times while Loki was on Midgard, but she herself does not know how to obscure herself, I suspect that was merely the work of Loki. So if she is missing now, I fear something has happened to her."

"Do you mean to say that she did know Loki?"

"Oh yes, in fact that spent much time together. I believe it was for her that Loki turned himself in. To protect her secret."

Realization washed over me as I took a step towards Heimdall, "you do not mean to say that my brother truly cared for her, do you? I did not think he was capable of such a thing anymore, especially not with a mortal."