Chapter 22

1888.

The doctor's treatments were not working on Levina, which was no surprise to her but was a major source of irritation for her husband. From teas to poisonous leaves that would have left her dead had she been simply human, the doctor tried everything that doctors claimed to know at the time.

So the doctor assumed the worst - that Levina has been tainted by the devil and a child was too pure of a thing to come from her defiled body. Levina wanted to laugh when she heard what the doctor was claiming, but she held her tongue as she knew it was not a laughing matter to him and it would only strengthen his hypothesis.

So she was brought into the church and was left there to repent for her sins. The nuns tried to help her through her journey, although there was nothing to help her through. Still, she would prefer this to having the town find out why she was truly infertile.

But still, Levina knew it was only a matter of time before it became clear that she did not age. If suspicious arose, then she would be condemned for her existence and she knew she needed to prevent that from happening. Which meant she had to escape. It would make those she was leaving behind certain of her guilt, but that would be no matter to her once she was out of the country.

-

(Olivia's POV):
I awoke the next morning and the first thing that I did was check my phone to see if Tyler had responded to me yet. I had sent him what felt like a million texts, begging him to let me explain and apologize, yet he refused to even give me a response. I mentally cursed Loki for messing up everything. Not only had he disrupted the safe relationship that I had with Tyler, but he also just had to be so damn attractive. I knew all he wanted from me was my powers, but I could not help falling for him more every time we were together.

But that was over now, it had to be. My relationship with Tyler was in shambles and if I had been unable to suppress my feelings while I was in a relationship then I had no hope now that I was free of it. Loki was dangerous, I understood that, yet my heart seemed not to.

There came a knock on my apartment door just as I was finishing giving my pets their breakfast. I was relieved to see Tyler standing outside, praying that I would be able to remedy our relationship. His expression of anger informed me that it was not going to be easy to win him back, but at least I had a chance.

I opened the door for him and he pushed past me into the apartment, heading straight for my liquor cabinet. The smell of alcohol radiating off of him and his bloodshot eyes informed me that this was not going to be his first glass, but I did not try to stop him, wondering if I would have a better chance once he was drunk.

As he poured himself some brandy, he looked up at me with an annoyed expression and growled, "you said you wanted to talk, so talk."

I was taken aback by how abruptly the conversation had turned to my defense and I hesitated for a second. But after a glare from Tyler, I began to blether, "last night was a complete misunderstanding, I swear. Loki, he's just a childhood friend. He came over because I told him that I was distraught over losing a patient and he tried to comfort me, but that's all. And when you showed up, I panicked. I knew that you would think that I was cheating on you, so I had him hide in order to avoid that confrontation. I thought he was just going to leave, I would never have fathomed that he would do something like that."

"So you were upset and you told him instead of me," he spat, pouring himself more drink.

"Well, I didn't want to bother you with it. I knew that you were worried about your job and everything. I figured that my feelings were insignificant compared to yours, so I called on Loki."