2 - Meeting My Prince Charming

Start from the beginning

Turning away, I was just about to take the first step toward the counter when he grabbed my wrist. "Wait. I didn't mean to come across as arrogant." A small smile curled his lips, bringing out little, boyish dimples in his cheeks. "Please don't blame me for trying to impress a beautiful girl. I'm Brent, by the way."

My cheeks burned like crazy, I was probably redder than a ripe strawberry. "Well, I'm not really into someone who is full of themselves."

"I realize that." His smiled turned crooked. "How about dinner tonight? That will give you a chance to get to know me and decide whether you want the tour guide job."

"I don't know."

"Then at least tell me your name."

No harm in that. "Rena."

"It's nice to meet you."

He extended his hand and I shuck it, even though it was a bit silly.

His lips twisted to a desperate frown. It made him look even cuter. "Please, Rena, just give me one chance to get to know you."

I was stunned by his persistence. He made me feel special, like it was an honor to be with me. But there was still the small problem with my dad. "I don't think that would be a good idea. My father would never allow me to go out with a college guy. Plus it's a school night."

He shrugged. "Hey, your dad doesn't need to know."

Expecting me to go behind my father's back knocked him down by a few more notches. "My father is a cop. Trust me, he'll know."

"Maybe I could introduce myself and show him that I'm actually a nice guy. My father works for the FBI. That might be an added bonus."

I never had anyone who had been so eager to take me out on a date and I was absolutely smitten. "Okay. But I have to be home by ten. And only if my dad agrees."

"Perfect. How does six o'clock sound?"

That would give me enough time to prepare my father for his visit. He got off work at five. I nodded. When he handed me a napkin to write down my address, I hesitated. Social media always warned to give strangers any type of personal details, but then again, he looked harmless. Besides, if he turned into some creep, my father would have him arrested.

"Don't be late," I warned when I handed him the napkin. "My dad likes punctuality. And shave."

"Don't worry." He actually kissed my hand. "Your father will be dazzled."

I watched how he strolled away, my heart tripping over itself. Hopefully, my dad will say yes.

~~~~

Up to this day, I still have no clue how he managed to get by my father. He arrived five minutes early with a bouquet of roses for me and beamed at my dad when he shook his hand. My dad was more than skeptical—to say the least—but after thirty minutes of talking in private, he was hooked. It was the type of effect Brent had on most people. No one could ever resist his charms.

My father called me into the living room with a big smile. "Well, Rena, I have to admit, I was very reluctant when you told me about your friend, but Brent has convinced me that his intentions are nothing but honorable. He swore to me that he will drop you off at ten and there will be nothing but dinner."

"Dad!" I blushed, horrified that he could even imply there could be anything else on a first date.

"You kids have fun now." He gave me a peck on the forehead, which I despised even more. Why did he always act to embarrassing in front of my friends?