Chapter fourteen

Chapter 14

My mother stared at me, then looked over to Ryder, then back at me. I glared back and once the red light turned green, Ryder sped off down the road. I held on to him tighter and prayed to god she would be gone before I got back. It was a short time before we pulled into the parking lot of the small music store. I loved music stores. They were much cooler than buying music online or on iTunes. I hopped off excitedly and ran into the store. As I walked in my favorite cashier, Rain, was working. She was my best friend at my old school. I never got to see her after I switched schools. Her parents were nature hippies or something like that so she didn't have a phone ether. She shrieked excitedly and jumped over the counter to hug me. We started gossiping until Ryder cleared his throat. Rain looked over to where Ryder was leaning against a door frame, then looked me dead in the eyes.

"Who's the bad boy with the hots for you?" she whispered. I rolled my eyes and said, "He does not have the 'hots' for me. He's a guy from school that owed me a ride. That's it." She gave me a knowing look and waved Ryder over.

"Hey I'm Rain, Kate's BFF. Sooo, Do you have the hots for my BFF here?" She said pointing at me. My eyes went wide and I slapped her arm and glared at her. This girl did not know the meaning of keep it to yourself. To say she was an open book was an understatement. She said exactly what she was thinking, no matter the price. Ryder smirked at me, then looked over to Rain, "Yes, absolutely."

I blushed and looked over to him. Well now he's done it. Rain smiled triumphantly and gave me her famous "I told you so" look. I turned away quickly and went to look at the new music. A band a never heard before had a new CD out. I picked in up and scanned over the band name, The Vamps. They looked cute, I could say that much. I decided I would check them out on YouTube later and continued looking at different music. Ryder came up behind me and smirked down at me.

"So your 'BFF' over there is quite the character," he said. I rolled my eyes and smiled, agreeing with him. He smiled back played with a piece of my hair. I looked at the small store. Music overflowed each stand. Punk, Rock, Hip Hop, Classical, Country, Pop, and I listened to it all. I loved music more than anything in this world. It's been a while since I've actually gotten to listened to it. My mother doesn't approve of loud 'noise' in the house. Ryder snapped his fingers in front of my face and pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Kate, yoohoo, you there? I said your name four times already," he said.

"Oh sorry, I was thinking," I muttered quickly.

"I said we should probably head back now, your brother texted me and said he was done cooking," Ryder said and I nodded following him to the door. Rain ran up to me and stopped me.

"Kate! I forgot I have something to show you," she said reaching into the back of her shorts and pulling out a small flip phone. I smiled and looked at her, "is that yours?"

"Duh!!! I finally saved up enough money to buy it. My parents don't approve, but they said since I paid for it I can keep it," Rain said jumping in excitement. I grabbed it and quickly put in my number, then texted myself. I gave her a quick hug before leaving and getting on the motorcycle. Ryder got on after me and sped off yet again to my house. I was thrilled and once we got home I ran, aka quickly walked, into the house. I smelled fried chicken and waffles coming from the kitchen. I walked to the kitchen to find Tom talking with Mom. I hide behind the wall and listened quietly. Ryder came walking in. I pulled him beside me and put a finger over my mouth, telling him to be quiet. He nodded and I went back to listening.

"Mom, what are you talking about?" The angry voice of Tom rang through the house.

"I'm kicking her out, she's 17, I'm allowed to," I heard the bitch say.